Barton College is hiring for a Graduate Assistant Coordinator of Residence Life, a part-time, 12-month position with the preference of living on campus. This position is an excellent opportunity for a graduate student who is interested in Higher Education and specifically in Student Engagement areas.
Reporting to the Director of Residence Life, the Graduate Assistant will:
· help in the development and growth of Barton’s Residential Life Experience,
· assist in the college’s strategic planning with creativity through our distinctive identity, pivotal partnerships, and radical innovations,
· take a lead in developing all or our students to elevate skills needed to become campus, community, and regional leaders in service and engagement,
· focus on serving the entire campus population, including commuters needs and, residential students, and
· be involved in planning for our New Student Orientation and Welcome Weekend.
● Represent Barton College by exemplifying respect and focusing on educational development in each interaction with students, families, and coworkers.
● Serve as the representative for the Residence office on college committees, as requested and appointed.
● Review, research, and evaluate, as necessary, all aspects of trends in Residence Life programs to ensure optimum understanding of the student/staff needs, concerns, attitudes, etc., and will develop, with appropriate staff assistance, policies, programs, and procedures designed to meet those needs.
● Assist with the Residence Life office in providing a welcoming, clean, and inviting space for all students to want to interact in the space.
● Assist and help manage the recruitment of interested potential new RA’s.
● Assist with fiscal responsibility for the Office of Residence Life budgets, grants, and fundraising.
● Be knowledgeable of THD, Maxient, and Jenzabar EX and to be able to use to assist with projects and information.
● Manage attendance of residence life programs, collecting data that will assist with future programming decisions.
● Work with other departments with the goal of utilizing all areas of campus to successfully engage our students in a well-rounded Barton Experience.
● Be a knowledgeable user of the Barton App
● Contribute to the programming involved with New Student Orientation, Move-In, and Welcome Weekend.
· Serve as a mentor and resource for undergraduate student staff in areas which may include programming, crisis management, mediation and conflict resolution, staff development and personal and professional growth.
· Schedule and maintain 20 office hours- Monday through Friday, a minimum of 2 hours per day.
· Supervise a staff of 10-12 Resident Assistants, as well as one Senior Resident Assistant.
· Serve in a professional on-call crisis management rotation for approximately 600 undergraduate students throughout campus.
· Assist in the recruitment, hiring and training of undergraduate student staff members.
· Oversee programmatic efforts of undergraduate student staff as well as maintain individual area(s) programming budget.
· Assist Residence Life Coordinators with the daily operations of assigned residential areas. This may include maintaining a programming budget, facilities, facilitating the room change process administrative tasks, etc.
· Advise residential area student committees/groups within the Department of Residence Life
· Serve as a Residence Life conduct hearing officer.
· Attend weekly professional staff and departmental meetings.
· Serve a member of at least one Residence Life collateral assignment team. This may include RA in-services, RHA, staff development, assessment and recognition and appreciation days.
· Other duties as assigned
Skills, Experience and credentials:
· Pursing a Master’s Degree in Student Affairs, Higher Education Leadership, Counseling, or a related field.
· Must be proficient in using Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required with the ability to effectively interact and communicate with all levels within the organization.
· Ability to be discreet in handling confidential and proprietary information appropriately.
· Proven track record of reliability, responsibility, and integrity.
· Strong problem-solving skills.
· Must be able to operate in a fast-paced environment effectively and can work independently of direct supervision.
· Strong organizational and planning skills and the ability to be detail-oriented.
Please submit application materials including a letter of interest, current resume and contact information for at least three professional references (all documents should be MS Word or PDF format) to People & Support at firstname.lastname@example.org. References will not be checked until the candidate is informed. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Any claims of discrimination for Title IX or otherwise should be directed to our Title IX Coordinator, Victoria A. Morris, at P.O. Box 5000, Wilson, NC 27893, or at 252-399-6330 or email@example.com.