The School of Health Sciences at Barton College seeks candidates for a full-time Assistant/Associate Professor of Molecular Biology position with an anticipated start date of January 2, 2024. The successful candidate will lead courses in Molecular Biotechnology and Genetics.
Candidates must demonstrate a commitment to teaching undergraduate students in a liberal arts setting. Additional responsibilities include academic advising, student recruitment, maintaining a program of active student engagement, meaningful participation in the life of the School of College, and a commitment to active contributions in the profession. These contributions may include mentoring of student projects and development of pedagogy that engages students and fosters deep learning.
- Teach up to 24 (twenty-four) credit hours annually at all levels of undergraduate Biology coursework, including upper division courses that cover fundamental principles (Genetics, Biotechnology, Microbiology).
- Lead up to four courses per semester that may include Microbiology
- Sustain currency and relevancy through professional engagement and/or research related to professional background and experience.
- Mentor and advise students.
- Serve as an active faculty member of the Barton College School of Health Sciences.
- Support student recruitment including participation at on-campus open houses.
- Display strong communication and interpersonal skills with a commitment to working with students and colleagues of diverse backgrounds.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Demonstration of excellence in teaching.
- Ability to lead a wide-range of biology courses.
- Under direction of the Dean, develop curriculum for new programs and oversee curricular revisions.
- Collaborative disposition with a commitment to service.
- Proficiency in oral presentation skills, planning, and organizing of course objectives.
Work is performed in classrooms, offices, and virtual environments, involving contact with students, faculty, staff, parents, service providers and vendors.
The successful candidate will be an innovative individual with:
- An earned PhD or ABD in life sciences or a related field with a strong preference for molecular biotechnology, genetics, and/or microbiology.
- A demonstrated ability to deliver applied learning experiences.
- An aspiration to build innovative programs that meet the needs of undergraduate students and community partners.
Review of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. For full consideration, completed application packets should be received by 11/6/2023, but applications will be continually reviewed until an appointment has been finalized. Responsibilities would begin on 1/11/2024. Applications must include letter of interest, current vita, statement on teaching philosophy, unofficial transcripts, and contact information for three people who are willing to serve as reference with at least one of the referees able to address teaching ability and potential. Applications should be directed electronically to:
Dr. Dave Dommer,
Executive Director for Life Sciences
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.