Why Visiting Colleges is Essential
There are many reasons why visiting colleges matters. For one, it gives you a chance to evaluate the campus facilities and decide whether they are a great fit. Other reasons to visit colleges when trying to narrow down to the best include:
- Experience the college vibe. Visiting a campus immerses you in the college’s community first-hand. With the immersion, you will determine whether the campus energy aligns with your expectations.
- Meet with faculty. Visiting colleges allows for meeting the faculty in person. During this meetup, you can ask questions and get reliable information about your intended program.
- Meet ongoing students. Besides the faculty, your college tour enables you to meet and interact with ongoing students. These peers will give you firsthand insights into campus culture, academics, and challenges.
- Ask questions. You will likely meet campus guides and other admissions staff during your college tour. These professionals will answer extra questions about tuition, housing, academics, and more.
How Do I Know When to Start Visiting Colleges?
Many students visit colleges during their junior or senior years of high school. At these stages, you could have narrowed it down to your career of interest. College tours will help you choose the right campus for your studies. Schedule your visits based on the following ideas to get the most out of your campus tour.
- Visit in the right season. Schedule your tours during the spring and fall seasons. The weather is generally pleasant during these seasons, allowing for a comfortable campus exploration.
- Visit on a weekday. As a rule, do your campus tour during a weekday. During the weekdays, students and faculty members attend classes, engage in discussions, and participate in various academic pursuits. You will get a true rhythm of the campus.
- Visit after you have been accepted. Visiting the campus post-acceptance allows you to envision yourself in your dream colleges. As a result, you get a sense of what life will be like when you join.