Barton College is seeking an Assistant Sports Performance/Nutrition Coach to serve 24 Division II sports programs while reporting to the Director of Sports Performance in Athletics. Responsibilities include assisting in designing, organizing, implementing, facilitating, overseeing and evaluating all facets of the Athletic Strength and Conditioning Program. This includes the educational (nutrition and training), monitoring and supervisory components as well as working within the strength center. This position will work closely with the School of Allied Health and Sports Studies, equipment staff, sports medicine staff, athletic staff, and the Director of Athletics and works collaboratively with relevant constituent groups. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· serving in an advisory role to the Head Sports Performance Coach in evaluating all aspects of strength and conditioning for all student-athletes and to provide insight into possible improvements that can be made for all
· insuring that Athletic Department personnel, student-athletes and support staff collaborate with the Sports Medicine Staff to thoroughly design a coverage plan and emergency medical procedures for on and off-season conditioning and lifting.
· knowing NCAA and conference rules as they apply to training teams and individual’s in-season and out.
· facilitating learning of proper lifting, spotting and safety techniques.
· Keeping current records of all student-athletes that are training on a quarterly basis.
· Developing communication system and scheduling with the Sports Medicine Staff member assigned to each sport for updates on a student-athletes ability to train/injuries.
· Developing summer and off-season programs for designated sports. Keeping accurate records and supervision.
· Communicating problems, issues and program improvement ideas involving the strength and conditioning area to the immediate supervisor and the Athletic Director.
· Learning and researching team and individual conditioning specific training methods and activities.
· Conducting periodic assessment of physical skills to assess effectiveness of programming and to implement changes.
· Meeting with Head Coaches of designated sports to assess needs and plan programs.
· Developing educational programming on sports nutrition for all athletic teams.
· Working with teams and coaches to maximize nutrition while traveling.
· Assisting teams and individuals with strategies to maximize nutrition for optimal performance, training, and recovery.
· Assisting in development and implementation of facility procedures.
· Assisting in making sure the facility is well maintained and is safe and functional for the training of athletes.
· Certification in sports nutrition preferred
· Bachelor’s Degree in a related field with a minimum of one (1) year experience working in Collegiate Strength and Conditioning or a related area preferred (Nutrition degree optimal).
· Must also possess one of the following certifications:
o NSCA (National Strength and Conditioning Association Certification)-CSCS (Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist)
o CSCCa (Collegiate Strength and Conditioning Coaches Association Certification-SCCC (Strength and Coach Certified)
· Demonstrated proficiency:
o with word processing and spreadsheet software, social media platforms, and (other to be listed software)
o in designing, implementing, and administering sports performance training programs.
o and ability to work successfully with students, College staff/faculty, coaches, the community and media representatives
o and ability to effectively operate in a fast-paced environment and have the ability to work independent of direct supervision.
o in organizational and planning skills and ability to be detailed-oriented
o Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
o Demonstrated commitment to a diverse work environment, including working with multi-cultural populations and an understanding of, and sensitivity to issues affecting women and minorities
To apply, please send a letter of application, resume/vita, contact information (email addresses and telephone numbers) for at least three references, and proof of certification to Human Resources via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, and Matt Shubert, Assistant Athletic Director for Sports Performance, at email@example.com.
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Any claims of discrimination for Title IX or otherwise should be directed to our Title IX Coordinator, Victoria A. Morris at P.O. Box 5000, Wilson, NC 27893 (Phone: 252-399-6330 or email firstname.lastname@example.org).