Barton College is recruiting for a Groundskeeper to assist in keeping the college campus a clean, neat, and attractive environment. This position will report directly to Grounds Supervisor and will be a full-time position.
Seasonal Grounds Care (45%):
- Mow lawns, edge, whip, aerate, thatch, fertilize, maintain planter beds
- Perform tasks such as planting, weeding, sweeping, raking, salting, etc.
- Remove snow and ice as needs arise or sand and de-ice
- Clean and upkeep sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, ornamental beds, etc.
- Operate various types of equipment including power mowers, blowers, saws, weed eaters, hedge trimmers, sprayers, etc.
Trash Clean-Up and General Maintenance (25%):
- Keep the college campus free of trash debris and litter to present a clean, neat, and attractive environment
- Ensure trash containers are in their proper place and emptied on a regularly scheduled basis
Daily Operations, Projects, and Events (15%):
- Carry out small assignments that may arise in the day to day operation at the college, such as, but not limited to, the following:
- Clean debris and trash from around the campus fountains
- Assist in setting up for special events and regularly scheduled events such as commencement, registration, open houses, honors convocations, and campus clean-up after such events
- Assist in the moving of furniture, lab equipment, athletic equipment, or any other items that must be moved for the general operation of the College
- Aid the various maintenance trades in general clean-up of job sites
Vehicle and Equipment Maintenance (10%):
- Drives and operates various campus vehicles
- Performs periodic maintenance and makes minor repairs on tools, equipment, and vehicles in order to maximize efficiency and life span
Other Duties as Assigned (5%):
- Complete required forms and paperwork as needed
- Report broken and malfunctioning equipment to supervisor
Skills, Experience and credentials:
- Graduation from high school or equivalent education; OR 12 months of equivalent combination of education and/or experience
- Ability to:
- Follow oral and written instructions
- Read and understand written instructions, directions, and assembly schematics
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to operate and perform preventative maintenance on equipment used in grounds maintenance work
- Maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, employees, vendors, and the general public
- Perform basic maintenance on grounds equipment
- Plan and schedule routine grounds service activities
- Safely and properly operate a wide variety of grounds maintenance tools and equipment
- General knowledge of:
- Gardening and landscape methods, techniques, material, and equipment
- Methods, materials, and tools used in grounds services work
- Identification and eradication of common weeks, pests, and plant diseases associated with gardening
- Health and safety practices applicable to grounds maintenance work.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Please submit application materials including a current resume and contact information for at least three professional references (all documents should be MS Word or PDF format) to People & Support at email@example.com. References will not be checked until the candidate is informed. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Any claims of discrimination for Title IX or otherwise should be directed to our Title IX Coordinator, Victoria A. Morris, at P.O. Box 5000, Wilson, NC 27893, or at 252-399-6330 or firstname.lastname@example.org.