The School of Business at Barton College invites applications for a Dean of Business & Innovation responsible for the School’s strategic planning, program evaluation and development, corporate outreach, and the management of its administrative and financial affairs.
The Dean will also serve as a member of the VPAA’s Dean’s council and work closely with faculty, community partners, and the VP for Academic Affairs to advance the College’s vision, deepen student learning, and identify and develop curricular and co-curricular programming that enhances local and regional businesses.
The new School of Business and Innovation at Barton College will initially offer degree programs in Business Administration, Healthcare Administration, Sport Management, and Masters of Business Administration. An emphasis on creative and critical thinking, experiential learning, and community partnerships will be foundational to the School of Business and Innovation.
Essential Functions (some responsibilities may fall in several categories but are only listed once for summary purposes):
- Create and extoll a vision for the School that aligns with the mission of the College, advances Barton’s profile, enhances enrollment, and resonates with prospective students
- Collaborate with faculty to develop, implement, and evaluate new graduate and undergraduate programs that align with the mission and vision of the School of Business and Innovation, including Analytics and Computer Science.
- Oversee delivery of academic programs including developing course schedules; recruitment, development, and support of adjunct faculty; and ongoing mentorship, support and evaluation of School of Business and Innovation faculty and staff.
- Lead assessment processes including working with Directors/coordinators to ensure that program objectives and learning outcomes align with and advance the mission of the College and are in compliance with program review, program accreditation, and SACSCOC accreditation standards.
- In collaboration with Directors/coordinators, responsibly develop and effectively manage program resources for the School including budgets, staffing levels, and contract requests for approval prior to review by the VPAA.
- Partner with Marketing and Communications to envision, create, and implement marketing materials that raise the profile of School programs. This includes creation of content for College publications including social media and the College’s web presence.
- Collaborate with Enrollment Management on recruiting efforts both on and off campus, including providing a School presence at on-campus recruiting events.
- Working together with Institutional Advancement, secure funding that advances the mission of Barton College and the School of Business & Innovation.
- Investigate and develop additional revenue streams, including grants.
- In collaboration with the VPAA, explore viability and development of new academic programs including dual-degree graduate programs.
- Foster internal and external partnerships that provide distinctive learning opportunities and enhance enrollment.
- Collaborate with campus partners to identify, integrate, and deliver career readiness outcomes in academic programs.
- Ensure adherence with College policies and procedures.
- Support workforce diversity in all aspects.
- Maintain mastery of subject matter.
- Attend meetings and events (including those to promote the School and/or represent the College) and actively participate in School and College committees and taskforces.
- Other duties as assigned.
Desired Skills and Experience
The College seeks a candidate with administrative experience, record of successful teaching, and the vision to guide the new School of Business & Innovation to manifesting the mission and vision of Barton College. Specific requirements noted below:
- Bachelor’s degree and eight years of related experience.
- Earned doctorate with a record of academic achievement in the discipline meriting appointment as a tenured faculty member in an academic department in a related School.
- A record of proven leadership and administrative experience related to the work of the School or related multidisciplinary programs;
- Demonstrated understanding of the instructional and creative needs of undergraduate and graduate programs in the liberal arts, interdisciplinary studies and professional disciplines;
- Demonstrated success in obtaining federal, state, or private grants preferred;
- Experience with budget management, faculty and staff development, and promoting college and community relations;
- Ability to collaborate effectively with faculty, staff, students, and the broader educational and professional communities, including a variety of businesses and community-based organizations;
- Demonstrated effectiveness working in a multi-cultural environment; and evidence of a strong commitment to the goals of higher education serving diverse populations desired.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to handle multiple priorities effectively in a high volume environment.
Review of applicants will begin immediately, and will continue until the position is filled. Responsibilities will begin with the 2023-2024 academic year. Applications must include letter of interest, current vita, statement on teaching philosophy, unofficial transcripts, and contact information for three people who are willing to serve as reference with at least one of the references able to address teaching ability and potential. Applications should be directed electronically to Dr. Kevin Pennington, Vice President of Academic Affairs, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Any claims of discrimination for Title IX or otherwise should be directed to our Title IX Coordinator, Victoria A. Morris, at P.O. Box 5000, Wilson, NC 27893, or at 252-399-6330 or email@example.com.