Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
Bachelor of Science (B.S.) and Master of Business Administration (M.B.A)
The Sport Management program at Barton College prepares you for a career in a variety of settings in the sports industry. We utilize a career-oriented curriculum that is focused on meeting students where they are and taking them to where they want to go with their careers in sports. Students are provided with an opportunity to select course-project topics based upon their career interest and have the ability to complete multiple practicums and internships to gain real-world experience in their desired area of the sports industry.
Students in the Sport Management program are provided with unique perks that set them on a pathway to success.
B.S. + M.B.A. (3/2 Track)
Sport Management majors can attain a Bachelor of Science in Sport Management plus a Business Administration minor during three years of undergraduate study and continue on to complete a Master of Business Administration in Strategic Leadership in two years of graduate study while at Barton College.
Students are provided with enough elective credit hours to complete minors in specialized areas like Business, Communication, Broadcast Video Production, and over 30 other areas to help students carve out their niche in the sports industry.
Students graduate from Barton College with a professional resume and portfolio featuring the work they completed while in school. This portfolio makes each project that the students complete in class a valuable tool for their careers.
When students arrive in our introductory course, they are added to our private alumni network in which they can connect with current students and alumni of the Sport Management program at Barton College.
Conferences and Conventions
Students are provided with opportunities to attend multiple sports-industry conferences throughout the year.
Students are provided with an opportunity to complete multiple practicums and internships for credit to gain valuable hands-on experiences in self-selected areas of the sports industry.
Sport Management majors complete the following courses as part of the core curriculum:
- SPS 1XX Introduction to Sport Management (3 hours)
- SPS 210 Practicum I (1 hour)
- SPS 240 Sport Marketing (3 hours)
- SPS 260 Sport Ethics (3 hours)
- COM 270 Sport and Communication (3 hours)
- SPS 310 Psycho/Social Aspects of Sport (2 hours)
- SPS 340 Event and Facility Management (4 hours)
- SPS 350 Diversity in Sport (3 hours)
- SPS 360 Sport Governance (3 hours)
- SPS 370 Sport Finance (3 hours)
- PED 405 Statistics for Sport/Health Sciences (3 hours)
- SPS 410 Organizational Leadership/Administration (3 hours)
- SPS 440 Sport Law (3 hours)
- SPS 460 Practicum II (3 hours) or SPS 470 Internship (12 hours)
40 to 49 Credit Hours Total
Sport Management students at Barton College have interned at the following sporting organizations:
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Washington Wizards
- Disney’s Wide World of Sports
- Carolina Mudcats
- North Carolina Amateur Sports
- Wilson Tobs
- Burlington Sports Council
- Augusta Sports Council
- Frederick Keys
- Daytona Cubs
- And many other internship sites
A degree in Sport Management will give you the training and skills required for a career in a number of settings:
- Major and Minor League Sports
- College and University Athletics
- US, International, and Special Olympics
- Esports Organizations
- National Governing Bodies
- Coaches’ Associations
- Theme Parks
- Recreational Facilities
- Concert and Entertainment Industry
- Sporting Goods Industry
- And many more career opportunities
Paul Christianson, M.S.
Assistant Professor of Sport Management
School of Allied Health and Sport Studies