Residence Life FAQs

Am I required to live on Campus?

If you are currently 23 years of age or older or if you are a senior you are exempted from living on campus. Otherwise you are required as a Barton student to live on campus.

I live close to campus, what are my options to commute from home?

Students who live within a 40-mile radius of Barton College may apply to live at home and commute from their parents’ or legal guardians’ permanent address. Students must complete a Housing Exemption Application Form (Hyperlink the housing exemption form) via the MyBartonHousing online portal, and upload a supplementary written and signed statement from the parent/guardian verifying that the student will be commuting from the parent/guardian’s legal, permanent home address. Reasons for Requesting Release from On-Campus Living (must provide documentation):

  • Commuting from parent’s/legal guardian’s home from within 40 miles of campus (50 miles for students enrolled prior to Fall 2020).
  • You have a serious medical condition that prevents you from living on campus — You are 23 years of age or older.
  • You are married and living with your spouse.
  • You are a parent with custody of your child or children.
  • You are a senior.
  • Other reasons may be considered on a case-by-case basis.

How do I apply to live on campus?

Once Barton College has received your admission deposit you will be able to apply for a space in a residence hall. Contracts must be signed and submitted via your MyBartonHousing Portal. The earlier you apply, the higher priority you will have to be assigned to your living preferences.

Is there a residence hall contract?

Your residence hall contract is signed at the time of application and is always available on the MyBartonHousing Portal and the Barton College website. The contract is your formal commitment to live on campus from when you accept your key to the end of the academic year (end of the spring semester). Contracts are valid from August 1 through the date of spring Commencement. Move-in dates will be set closer to the start of the academic term as they vary slightly from year to year.The contract is used for both your residence hall room as well as your meal plan. There is a section on the contract that allows you to indicate your living preferences for potential room and roommate-matching purposes.

When will I get my residence hall contract?

Contracts for the upcoming academic year become available for all students during the prior spring semester. For example, contracts for 2023-2024 are available beginning in the spring of 2023. All contracts are available on the MyBartonHousing Portal.

How much does it cost to live in the residence halls?

To see our current room and board costs, please visit the Residence Halls page.

Is a housing deposit required?

No housing deposit is required; the admissions deposit is the only required deposit for the College.

Is my housing payment refundable?

Should a student withdraw from Barton College, a prorated refund may be granted. For questions concerning refunding and payment, please contact the Business Office at 252-399-6333.

When will I know where I will live?

For incoming students, once you have signed and submitted your housing contract the Office of Residence Life will email your housing assignment, roommate information, and move-in timeline to your Barton College email account 3-4 weeks prior to the start of the semester. If you have not received an email please contact the Residence Life office at 252-399-6386.

How are housing assignments made?

Housing assignments are made based on the options you request, information you provide, and on space availability. We recommend that you fill out the contract yourself, paying close attention to what you are requesting. That being said please remember that any requests made are only preferences and you may not receive all that you select.

May I request a particular residence hall?

You will be asked to rank the Residence Halls in order of your preference on the MyBartonHousing Portal. Students will be able to select only the residence halls in which they are eligible to live. Our staff carefully review each request and select the hall that best fits each student’s needs, space permitting. Rooms in residence halls often fill up quickly, and it is possible you will not secure your top ranked residence hall. Don’t forget that every year after your first year you are given the option to choose the hall you would like to live in, space permitting.

When will I know who my roommate is?

Roommate information is sent in the housing assignment email 3-4 weeks prior to the start of the semester.

What if my roommate and I don’t get along?

While we hope that you would get along well with your roommate, there are instances in which roommates aren’t compatible. If for some reason you have concerns regarding your roommate, you should reach out to your RA to discuss next steps to resolve the conflict or possibly, space permitting, facilitate a room change.

What is provided in my room?

  • 2 Beds with Mattresses (Most beds are Twin-XL.)
  • 2 Desks and Chairs
  • 2 Closets or Wardrobes
  • Dresser Space
  • High-speed Community Broadband WiFi

What should I bring?

  • Pillows, Linens (Twin-XL Size)
  • Alarm Clock
  • Plastic Bucket for Shower Supplies
  • Towels, Washcloths
  • Personal Grooming Supplies
  • Shower Shoes
  • Hair Dryer, etc.
  • Laundry Basket/Bag
  • Laundry/Cleaning Supplies
  • Raincoat/Umbrella
  • Eating Utensils
  • Can Opener
  • Computer
  • Study/Desk Lamp
  • Book Bag/Backpack
  • Calculator
  • Office Supplies (Paper, Pens, Tape, Scissors, etc.)
  • First Aid Supplies/Medications
  • Wastebasket
  • Flashlight
  • Sports/Hobby Equipment/Bike
  • Posters

The items below also are permitted in the residence hall rooms. You are encouraged to check with your roommate prior to arriving to avoid duplication of large items:

  • Plants
  • Iron
  • Television
  • Video Game Systems
  • Electric Fan
  • Electric Outlet Strip (with breaker switch)
  • Microwave Oven (1200 Watts max.)
  • Refrigerator (max. 4 cubic feet.)
    • In lieu of purchasing microwaves and refrigerators, many students opt to rent a Microfridge Unit. Information about these rentals are available on the Residence Life homepage.

What can’t I bring?

  • Toasters/toaster ovens
  • Firearms/weapons
  • Pets other than fish
  • Empty alcoholic containers (including bottle/can collections, etc.)
  • Candles
  • Incense
  • Fireworks of any kind
  • Oil-burning lamps
  • Halogen lamps
  • Gas space heaters
  • Single outlet extension cords
  • Hot plates/hot pots
  • Window unit air conditioners
  • George-Foreman-style grills
  • Fryers
  • Air Fryers
  • Crock-pots

What is my room like?

Learn more about each Residence Hall here.

Whom can I ask for help?

Each floor of each residence hall has an Resident Assistant (RA) assigned who is there to ensure the safety of the building and provide assistance to students if needed. Barton’s campus has two Residence Life Coordinators (RLCs) that supervise the RAs on each side of campus. The RLCs also serve as Conduct hearing officers for all documentations on campus. Each RLC has an Assistant Coordinator who oversees some of the day to day work as well as serves in the on-call rotation with the other professional staff. All of these positions are overseen by the Director of Housing and Chief Judicial Officer.

You can view our current staff on the Residence Life home page.

How is safety and security ensured on campus?

The College has installed card readers at the entrances to all Residence halls so only residents of each building can gain access. In addition, all guests must be escorted by a resident of the building at all times. Members of the housing staff are on duty for students to contact should the need arise. All residence halls contain cameras that are monitored by the Wilson Police Department – Barton College District. Barton College contracts with the Wilson Police Department for our campus safety needs, and the Wilson Police Department has set up a district office on Barton College’s campus. Wilson Police Department officers are available on-campus twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.

Whom do I contact when I have questions?

Please contact Residence Life in the Office of Student Engagement and Success at any time.  Call us at 252-399-6386 or email us at

Apply to Barton College Today

Get Started