- Academic Programs
- Schools & Departments
- School of Arts & Sciences
- – Art & Design
- – Communication & Performing Arts
- – English & Modern Languages
- – History & Social Sciences
- – Physical Education, Sport Studies, & Gerontology
- – Religion and Philosophy
- – Science & Mathematics
- School of Business
- School of Education
- School of Nursing
- School of Social Work
- Honors Program
- Course Offerings
- Academic Resources
- Faculty Directory
- Office of the Registrar
- Hackney Library
- International Travel
- Campus Bookstore
- College Catalogs
- Current Students
WILSON, N.C. — Barton College is pleased to welcome Dr. William C. Harris, Professor Emeritus of History at North Carolina State University, as the featured speaker for the upcoming BB&T Heritage Lecture in American History scheduled for Tuesday, Sept 24. Dr. Harris’ lecture is titled “Lincoln, The Constitution, and the Civil War.” Scheduled to begin at 7:30 p.m. in the Sam and Marjorie Ragan Writing Center, this program is open to the public free of charge. The community is invited to attend.
This lectureship is endowed by BB&T and co-sponsored by the Barton College Heritage Committee and the Wilson County Historical Association.
Harris is the author of eleven books, including two books on Reconstruction in Mississippi, a biography of William Wood Holden of North Carolina, and four books on Lincoln.
His first book on Lincoln, “With Charity for All: Lincoln and the Restoration of the Union, ” published in 1997, won the Lincoln Prize, Second Place. In 2004, Harris’ “Lincoln’s Last Months” was recognized with the Abraham Lincoln Institute Book Award, and, in 2007, “Lincoln’s Rise to the Presidency” received the Henry Adams Prize. His most recently published book on the sixteenth president of the United States, “Lincoln and the Border States: Preserving the Union” (2011), was the co-winner of the Lincoln Prize.
Harris is currently completing his next book titled “Lincoln and the Union Governors: Partners in Victory,” which will be published in 2013 by the Southern Illinois University Press in its Concise Lincoln Library series.
In 2003, Harris was honored with the Lincoln Diploma by Lincoln Memorial University.
For additional information about the program, please contact Dr. Jeff Broadwater, Department of History and Social Sciences, at 252-399-6443 or email: email@example.com.
Tagged with: Dr. William C. Harris • Lincoln and the Border States: Preserving the Union by William C. Harris • Lincoln and the Union Governors: Partners in Victory by William C. Harris • Lincoln Historian • Lincoln’s Last Months by William C. Harris • Lincoln’s Rise to the Presidency by William C. Harris • With Charity for All: Lincoln and the Restoration of the Union by William C. Harris
- Student Presentation on Gun Violence in the Media Scheduled for Dec. 10 December 5, 2013
- Executive Director of Research Triangle Energy Consortium To Discuss Fracturing for Natural Gas on Saturday, Dec. 14 December 5, 2013
- Barton’s Nursing Students Raise Awareness For Operation Christmas Soldier Project Donations November 22, 2013
- Barton College Ushers In The Christmas Season on Tuesday, Dec. 3 November 18, 2013
- November Announcement Brings Accolades to School of Nursing November 18, 2013