- Academic Programs
- Schools & Departments
- Honors Program
- Center for Religious Studies
- Course Offerings
- Academic Resources
- Faculty Directory
- Office of the Registrar
- Hackney Library
- International Travel
- Campus Bookstore
- College Catalogs
- Current Students
Wilson, N.C. - Barton College will welcome Pam Durban, fiction writer and the Doris Betts Distinguished Professor of Creative Writing at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, for the upcoming Victor R. Small Writers Series this spring semester.
The program is scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 23, at 7:30 p.m., and will be held in The Sam and Marjorie Ragan Writing Center on campus. This event is open to the public at no charge, and the community is invited to attend.
Durban’s books include two novels, “So Far Back” (2000), winner of the 2001 Lillian Smith Award for Fiction for its tale of two Charleston, S.C., families, one white and one black, and The Laughing Place (1993), as well as the short story collection All Set About with Fever Trees” (1985). Her short fiction has been published in The Georgia Review,” “The Southern Review,” “Crazyhorse,” “The New Virginia Review,” and “The Ohio Review,” among other publications. John Updike selected her short story “Soon” for “The Best American Short Stories of the Century.” Durban’s work has appeared twice in “New Stories from the South” and in “The Best American Short Stories 1997.”
A founding editor of “Five Points,” Durban served as fiction editor of that publication for five years. She has received a National Endowment for the Arts Creative Writing Fellowship, a Whiting Writer’s Award, and a James Michener Creative Writing Fellowship from the University of Iowa.
This program is sponsored by the Department of English and Modern Languages. For additional information, please contact Dr. Rebecca Godwin, director of The Sam and Marjorie Ragan Writing Center, at 252-399-6364 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions? Please contact Kathy Daughety, director of public relations, at 252-399-6529 or email: email@example.com.
- Reception for Watercolor Society of N.C. 69th Juried Exhibition at Barton Art Galleries on Oct. 12 September 24, 2014
- Barton College/Wilson Symphony’s “Downtown” Concert on Oct. 9 September 24, 2014
- Poet James Applewhite to Speak at Friends of Hackney Library Fall Dinner on Oct. 7 September 24, 2014
- Friends of Visual Arts’ Fall Lecture to Feature Barton Art Professor Gérard Lange on Oct. 2 September 24, 2014
- Civil War Medicine the Focus of BB&T Heritage Lecture in American History at Barton College on Sept. 30 September 17, 2014