Barton College is seeking a Technology Librarian (Systems/Electronic Resources Librarian). This position reports to the Dean of the Library.
Promotes excellence in library services through the proactive maintenance of the library website, web-based access, instructional tools, systems, the Library Technology Classroom, electronic resources, and participation in reference and other library service functions. Leads information literacy sessions and facilitates related discussions with faculty in collaboration with other librarians. Manages all Integrated Library System (ILS) functions, including patron records, overdues, and statistics. Serves as academic liaison for the Schools of Sciences, Allied Health and Sport Studies, and Nursing regarding reference and collection development purposes. Works collaboratively with other librarians to develop and periodically review circulation policies and ILS policies.
Technology and Digital Services
- Works collaboratively to provide leadership in the management, development, and assessment of the library website, web-based tools, and other technological tools for access, instruction, and promotion.
- Assists or advises faculty on instructional technology issues as opportunities arise.
- Explores new and emerging technologies and advises on tools that may aid in the promotion and delivery of library resources and instruction.
- Performs basic troubleshooting on all student and library-staff computers before referring issues to campus IT department.
- Assists library patrons with technology issues.
- Collaborates with IT on hardware, software, and network issues.
- Works to set up training sessions for library staff and teaching faculty on computer-related subjects.
- Contributes substantially to the development of a collection of subject guides (LibGuides).
- Updates library website and creates content for applications such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Ensures accurate and user-friendly access to library resources by coordinating systems such as the 360 Core, EZProxy, the library’s ILS (TLC), and the web OPAC.
- Works collaboratively with the Hackney Library team in developing circulation policies, reviews and evaluates the policies periodically, and produces regular circulation reports and statistics.
- Manages overdue notifications.
- Coordinates billing for fines and lost items with the college’s Business Affairs office.
Other Duties as Assigned
- Participates productively in library-wide planning, assessment, and special projects.
- Works in coordination with all library faculty to facilitate the building of the collection in conjunction with college faculty.
- Pursues continuing education and professional development activities to strengthen individual competencies, improve library operations, or contribute to the field.
- Fulfills college expectations for campus participation, community service, and teaching. Holds rank of assistant professor, non-tenure track.
- Pursues collaboration with faculty on digital scholarship opportunities (collection, archiving, access, and usage) and works with the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning to promote high standards.
Desired Education, Skills, and Experience
Master’s degree required. ALA accredited, MLS/MLIS preferred. Relevant experience with a wide range of computer applications in libraries required. Recent MLS/MLIS graduates encouraged to apply.
- Considerable knowledge of library collections and operations, especially the use of technology to facilitate library resource access and information literacy.
- Familiarity with issues and maintenance involving online catalogs, electronic library collections, OCLC, link resolvers, proxy access, account management, federated searching, course-management systems, ebooks, online serials, databases, social networking, and web-authoring tools.
- Commitment to the continuing improvement of high quality services to library users.
- Awareness of current trends in libraries and the ability to use technology to maximize services to users.
- Proficiency in providing reference assistance.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong problem-solving and team-building skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and to function effectively in collaborative teams.
Review of candidates will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. If interested, please submit a letter of interest, current resume, and contact information for three professional references to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.