Orientation for Online Courses
Part 3 – Technical Support
Where to Go for Help
As an online student, sometimes it is difficult to know whom to contact when issues or problems arise. When a problem arises, ask yourself if this is a technical problem or a course management issue. The help desk can assist you with all technical problems but may not be able to assist you with a course management issue. Your professor will be contacted with these types of issues, so you may want to first contact your professor.
Barton College’s Information Technology Department provides a help desk for technical support issues. Students may call 252-399-6436 for assistance with computer or software problems. Also, you can submit a support ticket. (You will need to be logged into Campus Connect to process the ticket.)
Use the following as a guide when trying to decide whom to contact for help.
Type of Problem
|Accessing quiz||Your professor|
|Finding your course or an item in your course|
|Submitting an assignment|
|Computer is crashing||I.T. Help Desk|
|Cannot log into system|
|Computer not playing video|
Using Windows vs. Apple
Most Barton faculty use a Microsoft Windows computer, but there has been an increase of Apple usage among students. Sometimes, compatibility issues arise when using Apple and Windows computers in the same environment. If you will be using an Apple computer, here are some common issues to watch for:
- Most of your faculty will ask you to submit a Microsoft Word or PowerPoint file for your assignments.
- Use only letters, numbers, dashes, or hyphens for the file name (e.g. File1-Name2.doc).
- If you are using Microsoft Word/PowerPoint for the Mac, be sure the file you submit has the proper file extension:
- .doc / .docx / .ppt / .pptx
- If you are using a program other than Microsoft Office, be sure to export to the file type your instructor wants. Keynote will export as a PowerPoint file, and Pages will export as a Word file. Remember to add the file extension!
- Many videos (streaming video or video lectures) are being converted from a Windows Media format (.wmv) to an .mp4 format. Should you encounter a video that is not readable by your system, please contact your professor and/or Technology Support Services.
Campus Resources for Online Students
Here is a list of possible resources you may need as an online student:
- Library – https://barton.libguides.com/home
- Bookstore (Textbook Rental) – https://bookstore.mbsdirect.net/barton.htm
- Student Success – https://www.barton.edu/student-success/
- Registrar – https://www.barton.edu/registrar/
- College Calendars – https://www.barton.edu/calendar/
- Business Affairs – https://www.barton.edu/business-affairs/
- Student Handbook – https://www.barton.edu/pdf/studentlife/bulldog-handbook.pdf
- Disability Services – https://www.barton.edu/student-health/disability-services/
Feedback and Suggestions
You have completed the Orientation for Online Courses!
If you have any feedback or suggestions, please share them with us here. We value your input.