Barton College is seeking candidates for Dean of Students, a 12-month, live-in position that shares on-call responsibilities with other professionals in the Residence Life and Campus Life areas.
Reporting to the Vice President for Student Engagement, the Dean of Students serves as the primary point of contact for student life programs and services. This position provides visionary leadership to the College through high quality, student-centered services, programs, and experiences that promote students’ holistic development, growth, and engagement.
In this capacity, the Dean of Students supervises the Director of Residence Life and Director of Campus Life as well as campus programs. In addition, this leader provides oversight for the College’s contracted dining services with AVI Fresh and campus safety and security services with the Wilson Police Department – Barton College District. The Dean of Students advises the Student Government Association and provides guidance on key SGA initiatives, such as the annual Co-Curricular Commencement Regalia champions and sponsors major Student Life events, such as Night of the Golden Bulldogs and Family Weekend.
The Dean provides leadership for the College’s Student Life policies/regulatory documents, procedures, and publications, as well as emergency procedures and student medical, mental, and emotional health crisis protocols. The Dean leads the Campus Safety and Security Committee and the Emergency Response Team and is a co-leader of the Behavioral Intervention Team. The Dean collaborates with the Title IX Coordinator and Executive Director of the Student Health Center in the development and delivery of educational programming related to Title IX and coordinates Clery reporting and issues timely warning notifications. The Dean provides leadership and support to various institutional initiatives and serves as backup to the Vice President in his or her absence.
- Provide leadership to Campus Life and Residence Life in staffing, safety measures, and crisis response protocols.
- Oversee policy/regulatory documents, procedures, and publications. Ensure compliance with all state and federal guidelines and regulations.
- Provide leadership for area services/programming, planning/assessment, budgeting, marketing, operations.
- Oversee the Campus Life web pages, working with Marketing and Communications to update information as needed.
- Serve as on-call professional on a rotating schedule. Respond to campus emergencies, critical incidents, and student interventions in accordance with Barton College procedures.
- Support other campus-sponsored initiatives, such as institutional strategic planning.
- Manage the Barton OneCard system.
- Serve as appeal body for judicial issues, housing exemptions, and contract releases.
- Provide oversight for the College’s student conduct program.
- Maintain accurate and complete conduct and grievance records in compliance with the records retention policy and ensure compliance with FERPA through secure and proper disclosure of such records.
- Work with the Title IX office to support training for administrative hearing officers, judicial hearing boards, and Title IX investigators. Serve as a Title IX Investigator in consultation with the College’s Title IX Coordinator.
- Review incident reports, track metrics, and identify action items with the Barton Police Sergeant and/or other College administrators.
- Review the Student Handbook.
- Provide leadership with the development and execution of student medical, mental, and emotional health crisis protocols, ensuring a coordinated approach to responding to student crises.
- Inform President and Vice President of crisis situations, as well as Director of Public Relations.
- Chair the Campus Safety and Security Committee.
- Provide leadership for the planning and execution of College emergency management protocols and response with oversight of Senior Staff.
- Coordinate Clery reporting and issue timely warning notifications, as well as campus safety notifications.
- Provide oversight of campus parking regulations and management.
- Coordinate Family Weekend.
- Partner with Academic and Career Planning on new-student orientation and the Blueprint program.
- Collaborate with Academic and Career Planning in providing leadership for integrating The Barton Experience, The Barton College Honor Code, common student expectations, and Barton College values in the experiences of all students.
- Collaborate with the Director of Academic Planning and Retention Initiatives, who oversees the Bulldog CARES student referral and response initiative.
- Represent Campus Life at Admissions Office open houses and other events.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
Skills, Experience, and Credentials
- A master’s degree in Higher Education, Student Affairs, Counseling, or related field is required, with a doctorate preferred.
- A minimum of three years’ full-time professional experience in the college or university setting coordinating student development, conduct, residence life/housing, student activities, and/or health/counseling services is required.
- Strong understanding of Title IX, FERPA, Clery Act, and other federal laws and regulations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required with the ability to effectively interact and communicate with all levels within the organization.
- Ability to be discreet in handling confidential information appropriately.
- Proven track record of reliability, responsibility, and integrity.
- Strong problem-solving, decision-making, and teamwork skills.
- Must be able to effectively operate in a fast-paced environment and have the ability to work independently of direct supervision.
- Strong organizational and planning skills and ability to be detail-oriented.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with Jenzabar preferred.
- Must reside in reasonable proximity to campus.
- Valid Driver’s License required.
Please submit application materials including a letter of interest, current resume, and contact information for at least three professional references (all documents should be MS Word or PDF format) to Human Resources at email@example.com. References will not be checked until the candidate is informed. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Any claims of discrimination for Title IX or otherwise should be directed to our Title IX Coordinator, Victoria A. Morris, at P.O. Box 5000, Wilson, NC 27893, or at 252-399-6330 or firstname.lastname@example.org.