Barton College is hiring for a Coordinator of Residence Life, a 12-month, live-on position that shares on-call responsibility with other professionals in the Residence Life and Campus Life areas.
The Coordinator of Residence Life reports to the Director of Residence Life and is responsible for the creation and perpetuation of an atmosphere and living environment conducive to the intellectual, emotional, cultural, and social development of students residing in the residence hall(s) under the Director’s supervision. The Coordinator will uphold the mission and vision of Barton College and the integrity of the Office of Residence Life through appropriate role modeling, ethical behavior and decision-making, and adherence to all College procedures, rules, regulations and policies.
In addition to the primary role in the Office of Residence Life, each Coordinator will serve as a student conduct officer, and may be assigned additional responsibilities in the division of Student Engagement.
Key responsibilities for the Coordinator of Residence Life:
- Select, train, supervise, and evaluate the student staff which includes several paraprofessional Residence Assistants and possible Residence Life Interns
- Supervise student staff in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of their programming efforts, community building, and policy enforcement.
- Provide guidance and support to student staff through consistent group and individual contact meetings.
- Provide feedback to student staff concerning community development and programming efforts through attendance and observation of programs.
- Assume responsibility for the administration of all residence halls in their assigned area.
- Facilitate the development, implementation, and evaluation of policies within the halls through involvement at both hall and campus-wide levels.
- Be available to students on a regular basis via office hours.
- Inventory and audit keys throughout the academic year.
- Track moderate sized budget of several Residence Halls.
- Proactively promote an environment in which students develop as responsible and engages members of their residential community and understand the expectations for student conduct.
- Investigate, conduct hearings, and determine responsibility and sanctions for students involved in the conduct process as stated in the Barton College Bulldog Handbook.
Crisis Response/On-Call Responsibilities:
- The Coordinator is expected to be on campus and available to residents on a daily basis and must sleep on campus Sunday through Thursday nights.
- The Coordinator is expected to make their employment with Barton College their primary responsibility.
- Perform on-call duty as designated
Safety & Security:
- Maintain a positive working relationship with the City of Wilson Police Department, Barton District.
- Maintain proper documentation of security and safety incidents.
- Maintain awareness of potential security and safety issues on the campus.
Skills, Experience and credentials:
- Bachelor’s Degree is required with undergraduate experience in residence life, student life administration, or student leadership. Master’s degree is highly preferred in Student Affairs, Higher Education Leadership, Counseling, or a related field.
- Must be proficient in using Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required with ability to effectively interact and communicate with all levels within the organization.
- Ability to be discreet in handling confidential and proprietary information appropriately.
- Proven track record of reliability, responsibility, and integrity.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Must be able to effectively operate in a fast-paced environment and have the ability to work independent of direct supervision.
- Strong organizational and planning skills and ability to be detail-oriented.
Please submit application materials including a letter of interest, current resume and contact information for at least three professional references (all documents should be MS Word or PDF format) to People and Support at email@example.com. References will not be checked until the candidate is informed. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Any claims of discrimination for Title IX or otherwise should be directed to our Title IX Coordinator, Victoria A. Morris, at P.O. Box 5000, Wilson, NC 27893, or at 252-399-6330 or firstname.lastname@example.org.