Barton’s Continuing Education Program offers educational opportunities to individuals throughout their lives. These non-credit-bearing courses address interests such as skill upgrades and training, cultural advancement, or personal creative development.
Summer 2018 Courses
PNT 001 M – Working from Observation
Dates: May 15 – July 10, 2018
Schedule: Tuesday; 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Location: Case Art 101
Cost: $132 (including $25 fee for supplies)
Register by: May 14, 2018
Instructor: Benjamin Hawley
The objectives of this class are to learn how to see color and to learn to use it more effectively within image making. Students will be working from life (still life and portrait) using either oil paint and/or soft pastel. The source material for the work made during this class will be motifs created to reinforce the objectives of the class.
Students at all levels are welcome.
(Jerry’s Artarama is best locally, or order online.)
For Students Working in Pastel:
- Box of soft pastels (preferably Sennelier half-sticks or Unison starter set)
- Pad of pastel paper (approximately one 9″x12″ and one large 19″x24″) or individual sheets may be purchased throughout the class term
- Spray fixative (workable and final)
- Pastel pencils (recommended)
- Paper towels
- Drawing board
For Students Working in Paint:
- Cadmium Red
- Cadmium Yellow light
- Cadmium Yellow Medium
- Ultramarine Blue
- Cerulean Blue
- Burnt Umber
- Titanium white
- Different sizes of flat brushes
- Palette knife for mixing color
- Palette (thick glass or throw-away palettes are fine)
- Surfaces to work on (canvases, canvas paper, panels – any sizes)
Eligible students must be at least 18 years old. Some courses may have additional requirements.
To enroll, students must complete the registration form, pay the registration fees, and attend the first meeting of the class.
Use the online form or visit the Office of Lorraine Raper in Hackney Library to register for classes.
The cost for Continuing Education courses will be determined on a course-by-course basis. See each offering below for its fee.
Students are eligible for a 100 percent refund if they officially withdraw from their classes prior to the first class meeting or if a class is canceled because of insufficient enrollment. Once classes begin, no refunds will be given.