The School of Business at Barton College invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in business analytics with a cognate specialty in either information systems, operations management, or finance.
We seek candidates with a background in data science who can present a clear vision on how they will develop the ability of our students to make informed decisions by employing appropriate quantitative techniques and by recommending appropriate operational, technological, or innovative solutions for business decisions.
The primary fields of specialization sought for this position include business/data analytics, management information systems, and/or data science. Preference will be given to candidates who might also have teaching and/or research background in any of the following: data mining, decision support systems, emergent ethical considerations with big data, artificial intelligence, or other current issues in the field.
Candidates must demonstrate a commitment to teaching undergraduate students in a liberal arts setting. The successful candidate will ideally teach courses in Management Information Systems, Decision Sciences, and Data Analytics.
- Teach undergraduate and graduate students.
- Lead up to four courses per semester that may include undergraduate courses in business analytics and courses in at least one of the following areas: operations management, management information systems, or financial analytics.
- Sustain currency and relevancy through professional engagement and/or research related to professional background and experience.
- Engage in activities to maintain status as a qualified practitioner for IACBE accreditation.
- Mentor and advise students.
- Interact with industry professionals and participate in service activities.
- Serve as an active faculty member of the Barton College School of Business.
- Display strong communication and interpersonal skills with a commitment to working with students and colleagues of diverse backgrounds.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Curriculum development and significant teaching experience at all collegiate levels
- Funded research experience as a principal investigator
- Demonstrated ability to identify project opportunities and independently develop proposals that are subsequently funded
- Experience in program assessment and execution of a continuous improvement plan
- Active participation in professional activities and organizations
- Prior educational experience with progressive responsibility
- Demonstrated knowledge of academic evaluation
- Proficiency in oral presentation skills, planning, and organizing of course objectives
- Demonstrated knowledge of academic technology
- Strong computer skills
- Ability to manage potentially stressful situations in a professional and ethical manner
Work is performed in classrooms, offices, and virtual environments, involving contact with students, faculty, staff, parents, service providers and vendors and may involve teaching evening courses to accomplish objectives of the program.
The successful candidate will be an innovative individual with:
- An earned master’s degree with substantial coursework in business analytics, information systems, data sciences, management science, operations management, financial analytics, or a related discipline; or a Ph.D. or D.B.A. in business analytics, information systems, or operations.
- A demonstrated ability to deliver applied learning experiences and the competence to teach business analytics related topics and technologies.
- Skills in applying Microsoft Excel to the field of business analytics.
- An aspiration to build innovative programs that meet the needs of graduates and undergraduates.
Review of applicants will begin on February 15, 2022, and will continue until the position is filled. Responsibilities will begin with the 2022-2023 academic year. Applications must include letter of interest, current vita, statement on teaching philosophy, unofficial transcripts, and contact information for three people who are willing to serve as references with at least one of the references able to address teaching ability and potential. Applications should be directed electronically to Ron Eggers, Dean of the School of Business, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Any claims of discrimination for Title IX or otherwise should be directed to our Title IX Coordinator, Victoria A. Morris, at P.O. Box 5000, Wilson, NC 27893, or at 252-399-6330 or email@example.com.