At Barton College, students are the heart of our daily work. Our students are called to learn through one seamless learning environment that blends experiences in and out of the classroom. Through a distinct approach to student development, The Barton Experience recognizes each student’s potential to succeed, unique story, and distinctive goals by fostering our students’ intellectual, spiritual, and emotional development through intentional experiences.
Barton College seeks a caring, committed, and innovative student development specialist to fill a newly re-designed position to help champion The Barton Experience across campus. In this highly visible role, the Assistant Director for Student Programs will provide support and direction within the Division of Student Affairs in the following areas: New Student Programs, Greek Life, Intramural Sports, Student Activities, and Parent and Family Relations. The assistant director works collaboratively with the Dean of Students as a direct report.
Barton College invites qualified applicants to apply for this position.
The assistant director serves as the primary advisor for the Campus Activities Board (CAB) in planning social, cultural, and recreational programs to enhance the educational experiences of students at the College. CAB is comprised entirely of students and is free to join. CAB sponsors, co-sponsors, or supports over fifty events a semester including many traditional events on campus including Welcome Back Barton Day, Welcome Week, Family Weekend, Homecoming Weekend, Lighting of the Luminaries, Glow-in-the-Dark Easter Egg Hunt, Pre-Exam Jam, Greek Show, and Exam Breakfast.
The assistant director is also responsible for the evening management of the Hamlin Student Center and selecting, training, and managing the student staff who support the operations of the facility. The assistant director coordinates the College’s shuttle service. Lastly, the assistant director will serve as a professional on call on a rotating basis within the Division of Student Affairs.
The assistant director is responsible for directing all aspects of the intramural sports program including scheduling, training student staff, and game management. Intramural Sports provides co-ed leagues, tournaments, and events in a wide variety of team sports and individual activities. Some of the team activities offered include: 7-on-7 flag football, 6-on-6 indoor soccer, 6-on-6 volleyball, and basketball. Additionally, the intramural sports program facilitates fantasy leagues, video game, billiard, table tennis, and cornhole tournaments throughout the academic year.
Barton College has three national social Greek fraternities and two national social Greek sororities. The assistant director will advise the Inter-Fraternity Council (IFC) and oversee IFC recruitment. Additionally, the assistant director will oversee the scheduling and logistics of Greek Games and Greek Show and assist the Greek system with chapter operations.
New Student Programs
The assistant director will aid the Dean of Students with the planning, logistics, implementation, and execution of the College’s New Student Programs for all populations (first-year, transfer, adult, and graduate students and their families); directly oversee the various components of Family Orientation; assist with the selection, training, and development of the thirty-two member orientation team; and coordinate the team’s conferencing to the Southern Regional Orientation Workshop (SROW). The assistant director will serve on the College’s Orientation Planning Committee.
- Master’s degree in Student Development, Educational Leadership, Higher Education Administration, College Student Personnel, or related field is required.
- 1-2 years of previous professional or graduate experience within new student programs, student activities, intramural sports, student affairs, or related fields. Experience on a small, residential campus highly desirable.
- Demonstrated experience in student program development, implementation, and assessment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills including the ability to help with the marketing and promotion of campus events. Social media and mobile application use highly desirable.
- Ability to serve as a role model to a diverse student population through high professional and ethical standards within the field of student affairs. Ability to foster working relationships with students, faculty, and staff.
- Ability to maintain flexibility and work well in a fast-paced environment, including ability to work nights and weekends as necessary.
- Demonstrated leadership, organization, and management; an ability to oversee a wide variety of activities; ability to work independently or as a team.
- Excellent interpersonal and team-building skills.
- Valid driver’s license.
The Assistant Director for Student Programs position is full-time, benefits-eligible, with a competitive salary and flexible schedule and includes the use of an on-campus apartment and meal plan (when the college is in regular session) as part of the hiring package.
For full consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references by February 17, 2017, to:
Jared R. Tice
Dean of Students
P.O. Box 5603
Wilson, NC 27893
or email your application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred). However, the position will be open until filled, with a flexible start date.
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.