- Academic Programs
- Schools & Departments
- School of Arts & Sciences
- – Art & Design
- – Communication & Performing Arts
- – English & Modern Languages
- – History & Social Sciences
- – Physical Education, Sport Studies, & Gerontology
- – Religion and Philosophy
- – Science & Mathematics
- School of Business
- School of Education
- School of Nursing
- School of Social Work
- Honors Program
- Course Offerings
- Academic Resources
- Faculty Directory
- Office of the Registrar
- Hackney Library
- International Travel
- Campus Bookstore
- College Catalogs
- Current Students
WILSON, N.C. — The Barton College Gospel Choir, “and Company,” will perform its eighth annual spring concert on Saturday, April 13, at 5 p.m. in Hardy Alumni Hall. This year’s theme is “Stepping Out of the Box.” The event is open to the public, and the community is invited to attend.
General admission is $5 per person. Children, ages 12 and younger, may bring one canned good for admission to the concert. Barton faculty, staff, and students will be admitted with their Barton IDs and one canned good per person. The canned goods collected will be donated to the St. John AMEZ Church Food Pantry where the Gospel Choir members volunteer their time the first Saturday of each month, during the academic year, to feed the homeless.
Inspired by gospel artists such as Donald Lawrence, Israel Houghton, Youthful Praise, Jonathan Nelson, and Hezekiah Walker, Barton alumni Terrence Canady, director of the Barton College Gospel Choir, and Takaheri Jones, choir band director, have embarked on a new journey as writers and composers of gospel music. Committed to changing lives one song at a time, Canady and Jones have put pen to paper as they reflect on life experiences to create original music and lyrics this year’s concert.
The Barton College Gospel Choir includes sopranos: Essence Dickens, Brittany Dupree, Breyuana Kittrell,
Mar-juani Thompson, and Holly Zacharias, advisor; altos: Jasmine Dancy, Ashlee Jackson, Tatayana Kelley, and Aubrey Mannel; tenors: Morgan Daugherty and Kevin Wright.
The Choir is pleased to welcome special guests for the spring concert this year, including: Pastor Braxton D. Bowser Sr., of the Agape Christian Center COGIC in Knightdale, as the program emcee, psalmists Lisa Brown of New Haven, Conn., and Pastor David Howell of Goldsboro. Barton Guest Vocals include Prishonda Daniels, Shanita Coor, Jeanette Anderson, Danielle Watts, and Tony Wolfe. Guest musicians include Stephen Pender, Leevaris Woodard, Adrian Gardner, and Dujuan Gardner.
An additional special guest for the concert will be the Liturgical Dance Group from Wynn Chapel Church Ministries, Ministers of Movement.
This year’s concert will be recorded live for the Gospel Choir’s first CD project. For additional information about the choir concert or the CD project, please contact Holly Zacharias, advisor, at 252-399-6366 or email@example.com.
Tagged with: Barton College Gospel Choir
- Barton Art Galleries’ To Host An Art and Decorative Arts Appraisal Day on March 20 with J. Chris Wilson March 5, 2014
- Barton’s Artist-in-Residence J. Chris Wilson to present “Jan van Eyck: Decoding an Enigma” on March 19 March 5, 2014
- “Continuing Conversations” Group Exhibition Opens At the Barton Art Galleries on March 16 March 5, 2014
- Caregiver Education Conference Postponed Until May March 3, 2014
- Barton’s Dr. Kelly Thompson to Participate in National Executive Leadership Academy February 25, 2014