Freshman Admission Requirements
To be considered for admission as a freshman, you must:
- Have a high school diploma or its equivalent with a total of at least 13 college preparatory units. We recommend the following selection of courses (except where minimum requirements apply):
- English (4-unit minimum required)
- Mathematics (3-unit minimum required, including Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II)
- Natural Science (2 units, including one laboratory science)
- Social Science (3 units)
- A foreign language is not required, but it will be counted toward the 13-unit minimum.
- Take the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or American College Testing Program (ACT). You won’t be granted or denied admission automatically solely on your test scores. The submission of SAT or ACT scores may be waived if you are 21 or older and it has been at least three years since you graduated from a high school.
We recommend that you have an unweighted grade point average of 2.30 and an 890 SAT (combined critical reading and math) or 19 ACT.
NOTE: SAT Scores For the Class of 2017 and onward, Barton College will accept the new SAT scores, which began in March 2016. We will convert the old scores to reflect new scoring. Please contact your Admissions Counselor if you have further questions.
Students who do not meet these criteria will be presented to the Admissions Review Committee.
If you’re a home-schooled student, you must submit an official transcript demonstrating that you have completed the equivalency of a college preparatory high school curriculum. Transcripts from a cooperating school district or certified testing agency are preferred.