General College Core Requirements
The General College Core intentionally focuses on the learning outcomes of written and oral communication and critical thinking and embeds these skills in content courses. The General Core requires the following:
- First-Year Seminar (FYS 101): 3 hours
- Written Communication (ENG 101 and ENG 102): 6 hours
- Quantitative Literacy (MTH 120/130): 3 hours
- Natural Science (varies by major): 4 hours
- Health and Wellness: 2 hours
One Fitness (FIT) course and one Life Sport (LIF) course
- Social Sciences: 6 hours
Courses from psychology, sociology, economics, political science, and geography
- Humanities: 12 hours
One course each from visual and performing arts, English literature, history, and religion and philosophy
- Intercultural Perspectives: 6 hours
Courses designed to help students understand and respect differences among individuals and groups
- Critical Conversations (GEN 290): 3 hours
Prepares students to become active participants in academic discourse by further developing their writing, speaking, critical thinking, and research skills. Generally taken in the sophomore year.
- General Education Capstone (GEN301): 3 hours
Problem-based seminar that encourages the use of all skills developed through general education coursework. Generally taken in the junior year.
Transfer students, Barton’s North Carolina Community College Course Equivalency List is available here.