Barton College currently has an opening for a full-time Technology and Grants Librarian responsible for promoting excellence in library services through proactive maintenance of the library website, web-based access and instructional tools, systems, the Library Technology Classroom, electronic resources, and participation in reference and other library service functions. Also keeps up with library grant opportunities and oversees the application process, acceptance, implementation, project management and reporting of grants.
May require working some nights and/or weekends in support of College events as needed.
Technology and Digital Services
- Works collaboratively to provide leadership in the management, development, and assessment of the library website, web-based tools, and other technological tools for access, instruction, and promotion.
- As opportunities arise, assist/advise faculty on instructional technology issues.
- Explores new and emerging technologies and advises on tools that may aid in the promotion and delivery of library resources and instruction.
- Performs basic troubleshooting on all student and library staff computers before referring issues to Campus IT. Assists library patrons with technology issues. Collaborates with IT on hardware, software and network issues.
- Works to set up training sessions for library staff and teaching faculty on computer-related subjects.
- Oversees data collection and retrieval related to usage of online and physical materials.
- Contributes substantially to the development of a collection of Subject Guides (LibGuides).
- Updates website and creates content for applications such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Ensures accurate and user-friendly access to library resources by coordinating systems such as the 360 Core, EZProxy, Summon, the library’s ILS (TLC) and the web OPAC.
- Works collaboratively with the Library Team in developing circulation policies, reviews and evaluates them periodically, and produces regular circulation reports and statistics.
- Manages overdue notifications.
- Coordinates billing for fines and lost items with the college’s Business Affairs office.
Additional Duties and Tasks
- Participates productively in library-wide planning, assessment, and special projects.
- May teach a course per semester.
- Works in coordination with all library faculty to facilitate collection building in conjunction with college faculty.
- Pursues continuing education and professional development activities to strengthen individual competencies, improve library operations, or contribute to the field.
- Fulfills college expectations for campus participation, community service and teaching. Holds rank of Assistant Professor, non-tenure track.
- Over the summer, plans and organizes fall events such as the Library Open House.
- Pursues collaboration with faculty on digital scholarship opportunities (collection, archiving, access, and usage), and works with the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning to promote high standards.
- Does daily checks of library reference and circulation email accounts.
- Coordinates room reservations.
- Handles desk scheduling and library hours notifications.
This position operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment, such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This is largely a sedentary role; however, the position will be attending meetings in other locations.
Desired Education, Skills, and Experience:
- Education: Master’s degree required. ALA accredited MLS/MLIS preferred.
- Experience: Relevant experience with a wide range of computer applications in libraries required. Recent MLS/MLIS graduates encouraged to apply.
- Considerable knowledge of library collections and operations, especially the use of technology to facilitate library resource access and information literacy.
- Familiarity with issues and maintenance involving online catalogs, electronic library collections, OCLC, link resolvers, proxy access, account management, federated searching, course-management systems, ebooks, online serials, databases, social networking and web-authoring tools.
- Commitment to the continuing improvement of high quality services to library users.
- Awareness of current trends in libraries, and the ability to use technology to maximize services to users.
- Proficiency in providing reference assistance.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong problem-solving and team-building skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and to function effectively in collaborative teams.
Please submit a current resume and contact information for at least three professional references (all should be MS Word or PDF format) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Any claims of discrimination for Title IX or otherwise should be directed to our Title IX Coordinator, Victoria A. Morris, at P.O. Box 5000, Wilson, NC 27893, or at 252-399-6330 or email@example.com