General College Core Requirements
The General College Core intentionally focuses on the learning outcomes of written and oral communication and critical thinking and embeds these skills in content courses. The General Core requires the following:
- First Year Seminar (FYS 101 and FYS 102): 4 hours
- English Composition (ENG 101 and ENG 102 or 103): 6 hours
- Mathematics (MTH 120/130): 3 hours
- Communication and Information Technology (CIS 110): 3 hours
- Laboratory Science (varies by major): 4 hours
- Sport Science: 2 hours
One Physical Fitness course (PED 100-106 or PED 131) and one Lifetime Activity course (PED 110-130).
- Social Science: 3 hours
One course from ECO 101 Principles of Microeconomics, POL 101 American Government and Politics, PSY 101 Introductory Psychology, or SOC/SWK 101, Society and the Social Experience.
- Global Awareness: 12 hours
Two courses in American-Western Culture (AWC) and two courses in World Cultures (WDC).
- Learning Outcomes: two writing, one oral communication, one critical thinking.
This requirement must be fulfilled through global awareness or exploration courses.
- Exploration: 12 hours
Includes courses outside the student’s major that may include courses in a minor or double major, foreign language, travel courses or electives. Also allows for exploration of majors.
- General Education Capstone (GEN301): 3 hours
Problem-based seminar that encourages the use of all skills developed through general education coursework. Required of all students in the junior year.
Transfer students, Barton’s North Carolina Community College Course Equivalency List is available here.