Barton College is seeking candidates for the full-time, tenure track faculty position of Assistant Professor of Communications with a focus on Strategic Communication, including among other areas market research, defining target audiences and goals, message creation, developing a media strategy, message delivery, and campaign evaluation.
The successful candidate will lead up to 24 (twenty-four) credit hours annually at all levels of undergraduate Communications coursework with a particular focus in the Strategic Communications curriculum. Other responsibilities include teaching departmental and general education courses (such as sports journalism, media writing and public speaking), advising students, maintaining a program of scholarly activities, and participating in departmental, college, and professional service. An ability to assist in the recruitment of students for the Communications major will be necessary.
The Communication program will be an integral part of the new School of Arts & Humanities at Barton College.
Essential Functions (some responsibilities may fall in several categories but are listed once for summary purposes):
- Teach undergraduate courses in the Communications program including preparation and delivery of lectures to students, and compiling bibliographies of specialized materials for reading assignments.
- Advise students on academic and vocational curricula, and act as advisor to student organizations.
- Supervise student and community projects.
- Engage with and serve on faculty committees.
- Conduct research in particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals.
- In collaboration with the Dean, develop curriculum for new programs, oversee curricular revisions, and faculty development.
- Other duties as needed and/or as assigned.
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and fax machines.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position requires standing for various lengths of time, ability to use fine motor skills for writing/typing, some filing is required. Requires ability to lift files, books and papers, open filing cabinets and sitting, bending or standing as necessary.
Desired Education, Skills, and Experience: The College seeks a candidate with content expertise, record of successful teaching, and a collaborative and innovative mindset that will deepen student learning.
- Earned doctorate or ABD in Public Relations, Advertising, Strategic Communications, or related field or master’s degree in Public Relations, Advertising, Strategic Communications, or related field with substantial experience in Strategic Communications
- A professional or academic emphasis in digital platforms and media analytics
- Demonstrated teaching effectiveness at the college level
- Demonstrated aptitude for scholarship and research
- Ability to teach general education and departmental courses within the area of Public Relations and Journalism.
- Ability to advise students
- Proficient in database, word processing, spreadsheet software, and electronic communication.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required with ability to effectively interact and communicate with all levels within and outside the organization
- Strong organizational and planning skills, detail oriented with demonstrable problem-solving skills.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with faculty, staff, students, and the broader educational and professional communities, including College and community-based organizations
- Demonstrated effectiveness working in a multi-cultural environment; and evidence of a strong commitment to the goals of higher education serving diverse populations desired.
- Must be able to effectively operate in a fast-paced environment and have the ability to work independent of direct supervision.
- Comfort with a schedule that may vary week from week, and that requires working some nights and weekends.
- Teaching experience at the college level
- Experience in sports, health or government communications
- Record of research
- Academic or professional emphasis in the digital and social media domains, media analytics, and data driven processes
- Experience or certification in project management
- A PhD is preferred. Candidates who are ABD will be considered, but the tenure-track appointment requires completion of all doctoral requirements
- Possess an appreciation for diverse, first-generation, non-traditional, and socio-economically challenged students and a willingness to work individually and in groups to support success in application and matriculation into the program.
Review of applicants will begin on June 30 and will continue until the position is filled. Responsibilities will begin with the 2023-2024 academic year. Applications must include letter of interest, current vita, statement on teaching philosophy, unofficial transcripts, and contact information for three people who are willing to serve as reference with at least one of the referees able to address teaching ability and potential. Applications should be directed electronically to: Susan Fecho, Dean of the School of Visual, Performing, and Communication Arts at email@example.com.
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Any claims of discrimination for Title IX or otherwise should be directed to our Title IX Coordinator, Victoria A. Morris, at P.O. Box 5000, Wilson, NC 27893, or at 252-399-6330 or firstname.lastname@example.org.