Barton College is seeking candidates for the position of Residence Hall Director. The Residence Hall Director reports to the Director of Housing and Residence Life and is responsible for the creation and perpetuation of an atmosphere and living environment conducive to the intellectual, emotional, cultural, and social development of students residing in the residence hall(s) under the Director’s supervision. The Residence Hall Director will uphold the mission and vision of Barton College and the integrity of the Office of Housing and Residence Life through appropriate role modeling; ethical behavior and decision-making; and adherence to all College procedures, rules, regulations and policies.
The Barton College Residence Life Department consists of five on-campus residence halls in both traditional and apartment-style layouts with approximately 450 residential students and a student staff of 40.
Skills and Responsibilities
- Select, train, supervise, and evaluate the student staff.
- Supervise student staff in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of their programming efforts, community building, and policy enforcement.
- Provide guidance and support to staff through consistent and individual contact meetings.
- Provide feedback to staff concerning community development and programming efforts through attendance and observation of programs.
- Assume responsibility for the administration of the residence hall.
- Facilitate the development, implementation, and evaluation of policies within the hall through involvement at both hall- and campus-wide levels.
- Be available to students on a regular basis via office hours.
- Inventory and audit keys throughout the academic year.
- Track moderately sized budget of residence hall.
- Investigate, conduct hearings, and determine responsibility and sanctions for students involved in the conduct process.
Crisis Response and On-Call Responsibilities
- The Residence Hall Director is expected to be on campus and available to residents on a daily basis and must sleep on campus Sunday through Thursday nights. The Residence Hall Director is expected to make their employment with Barton College their primary responsibility.
- Perform on-call duty as designated for approximately 8-10 weeks per academic year.
Safety and Security
- Maintain a positive working relationship with the City of Wilson Police Department, Barton District.
- Maintain proper documentation of security and safety incidents.
- Maintain awareness of potential security and safety issues on the campus.
- Bachelor’s degree is required with undergraduate experience in residence life, student life administration, or student leadership.
- Master’s degree is highly preferred in Student Affairs, Higher Education Leadership, Counseling, or related field.
Rank, and Compensation
- Residence Hall Director, full time staff.
- Competitive salary paid monthly for the twelve month position.
- Meal plan provided in the College Dining Hall during regularly scheduled Dining Hours in the designated Dining Hall.
- Furnished, on campus apartment including cable, internet, utilities, and maintenance services. The on campus apartment includes two bedrooms, a full kitchen, living room, one bathroom, and a storage area with shelving.
- Reserved parking in close proximity to the Residence Hall.
- Pet option available to full time, live on staff members.
- Proposed Start Date: as soon as possible. Screening of candidates and phone interviews will begin immediately and will be ongoing until the position is filled.
Qualified applicants may email a letter of application, resume, and three names/contact information of professional references to:
Mr. Joseph Dlugos
Director of Housing and Residence Life
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.