General Petition

A petition should be filed to request an exception to a College policy. Examples of items that require a petition are:

  • To waive or substitute a course in the core/major
  • To take a course at another institution during a term when the student is also enrolled at Barton College (i.e. summer school)
  • To take a leave of absence and return under the core requirements of the student’s original enrollment
  • To take an overload schedule
  • To take a course for the third time
  • To carry an outstanding balance into the following semester


  1. Complete a petition form.
  2. Obtain advisor’s signature.
  3. Obtain department chair/dean’s signature.
  4. Submit form to the Office of the Provost for consideration.