Barton College currently has an opening for a Lead Custodial Worker responsible for cleaning assigned buildings. This position helps coordinate work and assignments in consultation with the Custodial Supervisor and is the designated trainer for new and temporary employees. Regular duties include vacuuming classrooms and offices, cleaning restrooms, emptying trash, wiping and dusting vertical and horizontal surfaces, and performing annual maintenance such as waxing floors and cleaning carpets. May require working nights and/or weekends in support of college events as needed.
Note: This job description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities, and other essential functions (as covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act) expected of an incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of an incumbent. An incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required.
Lead Person (40%)
- Provide support to the supervisor by assigning work, and assisting with implementation of policies and procedures.
- Train new custodians.
- Train existing employees annually on new and existing custodial equipment, techniques, expectations, safety, and processes.
- Supplement and assist teams with assignments when short-staffed. Respond to trouble calls and emergencies.
General Cleaning (25%)
- Empty waste receptacles.
- Clean chalkboards/whiteboards.
- Disinfect horizontal and vertical surfaces.
- Organize and stock supply closet.
- Clean, sanitize, and/or disinfect restrooms, showers, bathtubs, and sinks using prescribed schedules, methods, and procedures.
- Clean and disinfect all dispensers, fixtures, and mirrors.
- Refill toilet tissue, paper towel, and soap dispensers.
Floor and Carpet Care (25%)
- Dust, mop, and apply finish to various types of floors.
- Vacuum and shampoo various types of carpets.
- Operate various types of powered equipment such as electric strippers, buffers, burnishers, power washers, and vacuums.
- Detailed window cleaning.
- Haul trash to dumpsters.
- Sweep and mop entrances of buildings.
- Move and transport furniture to different locations and set up rooms for events in a timely manner.
- Replace light bulbs, fluorescent tubes, vacuum belts, and bags.
Other Duties (10%)
- Complete required forms and paperwork as needed.
- Report broken and malfunctioning equipment.
- Conduct quarterly building inspections.
- Lead and instruct teams during special events and tasks.
This job requires working with and around hazardous building materials and solvents; frequent lifting; frequent use of ladders; and exposure to hot and cold temperatures when working outside.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This is largely a physical role, requiring moderate physical strength and the ability to lift boxes and trash bags up to 50 pounds and the performance of custodial tasks including mopping, sweeping, vacuuming, washing windows, and cleaning restrooms.
Desired Education, Skills, and Experience
Graduation from high school or equivalent education and one year of general custodial or janitorial work experience, OR 12 months of general work experience and one year of custodial or janitorial experience.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Perform minor maintenance and emergency repairs to leaking faucets, plugged drains, or malfunctioning toilets.
- Perform basic maintenance on custodial equipment such as changing belts, brushes, and replacing bags.
- Operate various powered equipment used to scrub, strip, apply finish, vacuum, polish, burnish, and buff various types of floors.
- Perform lead-worker duties such as assigning work and training new employees.
- Read and understand written instructions, directions, and assembly schematics.
- Learn new methods of cleaning.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, employees, vendors, and the general public.
General knowledge of:
- Practices related to custodial services.
- Environmental health and safety practices applicable to custodial services such as handling hazardous materials and awareness of asbestos and blood-borne pathogens.
- Cleaning agents, materials, and equipment used in custodial functions.
- Safe and proper methods of using/mixing cleaning chemicals.
- Proper care and cleaning of assigned areas.
Please submit a current resume and contact information for at least three professional references (all should be MS Word or PDF format) to Human Resources at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled. In lieu of a resume, you may complete the attached application and submit it electronically to the address above or mail it to:
P.O. Box 5000
Wilson, NC 27893
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.