Barton College currently has a new position available for a Human Resources Assistant. This position will provide administrative support for all areas of HR and report directly to the Assistant Vice President for Human Resources.
Assisting department with a variety of administrative functions including:
- Answering employee questions
- Processing incoming mail
- Creating and distributing documents
- Providing customer service to employees
- Serving as a point of contact for vendors
- Maintaining computer systems by updating and entering data
- Setting appointments and arranging meetings
- Maintaining calendars of HR team
- Preparing reports and spreadsheets
- Attending meetings; taking and distributing minutes
- Setting up files and maintaining records according to record retention protocols including but not limited to:
- Employee Files
- Records related to grievances, performance reviews, job descriptions, I-9s, etc.
- Other tasks as assigned
Assisting Payroll/Benefits Manager with:
- Enrolling and terminating employee benefit coverage
- Setting up employee files
- Answering routine benefit/payroll questions
- Assisting in issue resolution as needed
- Reconciling benefit invoices and submitting them for payment
- Providing backup payroll assistance
Recruitment and Employee Relations Support
- Posting of job ads and organizing interviews
- Collecting new hire information and entering into HR Connection
- Ensuring background and reference checks are completed and on file
- Helping to facilitate the on-boarding process
- Serving as a point person to direct employee questions
Desired Education, Skills, and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in HR, business, or related field. Prior experience in HR and higher education preferred. Equivalent experience in lieu of degree may be considered. Additional requirements/preferences include:
- Strong problem-solving ability, including being able to identify and resolve issues in a timely manner
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral to effectively communicate with all levels within and outside the organization
- Must be able to effectively gather, analyze, and present numerical and other information as needed
- Ability to organize, prioritize and plan work efficiently and effectively
- High degree of dependability required
- Ability to listen effectively, respond to management direction, and improve performance through management feedback when needed
- Discretion in handling confidentiality and proprietary information appropriately.
- Must have demonstrated working knowledge of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and be able to successfully navigate calendar management software and HR Connection. Familiarity with Jenzabar preferred.
- Must be able to effectively operate in a fast-paced environment and have the ability to work independent of direct supervision. Some evenings and weekends may be required based on workload/project requirements.
Please submit electronically a cover letter explaining your interest and how you meet the qualifications of this position, a current resume, and contact information for at least three professional references (all should be MS Word or PDF format) to Vicky Morris, AVP for Human Resources, at email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.