Barton College is seeking an HR Payroll Manager. This position manages the payroll function for the College and provides general support to the Director and other areas of Human Resources as needed.
- Maintains payroll information by collecting, analyzing, calculating, entering, and retaining payroll data on the system and in relevant payroll and employee files.
- Keeps current on applicable state and federal wage and hour laws.
- Administers monthly payrolls to ensure accurate issuance of direct deposits to bank accounts.
- Ensures accurate withholding, payment, and reporting of payroll tax liabilities including federal, state, social security, and Medicare withholdings (along with employer match) within required timeframes.
- Prepares and submits appropriate transfer requests (payment vouchers) to Accounting in order to fund payroll and deduction payments.
- Prepares weekly, monthly, quarterly, and year-end reports (gross payroll, hours worked, vacation/sick leave accruals, tax deductions, benefit deductions, etc.) for management (including updating the Financial Aid department on student earnings and providing reports to the Athletic Department for NCAA reporting).
- Assists in facilitating management and employee understanding of payroll procedures. Responds to questions and requests according to department standards.
- Maintains employee confidences and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential including only those with a need-to-know basis (Director, VP, and others as required by the situation and law(s) as applicable).
- Updates payroll records for changes in salaries, job titles, departments, retirement contributions, etc.
- Performs year-end responsibilities including ordering of forms and preparation of 1095-Cs, etc.
- Serves as the point person for vendor (ADP) interactions and ensures smooth operations for all aspects of payroll administration.
Provides generalist support in all areas of HR, as needed, to include but not limited to:
- Assisting in ensuring compliance with all state and federal guidelines.
- Attending committee meetings as necessary and assisting with other campus-sponsored projects.
- Assisting in various accounting responsibilities as defined by the Controller and approved by the CFO including payroll and benefits cost allocating.
- Assisting with Workers’ Comp claims.
- Performing employment verifications.
- Performing other related duties as required and assigned.
Desired Education, Skills, and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field with five years’ experience in Payroll administration. Equivalent experience in lieu of degree may be considered. Demonstrated working knowledge of computerized payroll and accounting systems. Familiarity with Jenzabar and ADP preferred. Must be proficient in using Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Excellent verbal and written communication skills required, with ability to effectively interact and communicate with all levels within the organization. Working experience of payroll tax at the federal and state levels. Ability to be discreet in handling confidential and proprietary information appropriately. Proven track record of reliability, responsibility, and integrity. Strong problem-solving skills. Must be able to effectively operate in a fast-paced environment and have the ability to work independent of direct supervision. Excellent organizational and planning skills and ability to be detail-oriented.
Please submit electronically a cover letter explaining your interest and how you meet the qualifications of this position, a current resume, and contact information for at least three professional references (all should be MS Word or PDF format) to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Any claims of discrimination for Title IX or otherwise should be directed to our Title IX Coordinator, Victoria A. Morris, at P.O. Box 5000, Wilson, NC 27893, or at 252-399-6330 or email@example.com.