Barton College is accepting applications for Head Coach of Football, a full-time, staff position with an August 2018 start date. A member of the Conference Carolinas and a competitive force at the NCAA Division II level, Barton College provides our athletes with strong support for achieving success on the field and court just as in the classroom. Football is a new sport addition to the Barton athletic program that will begin competition in the Fall 2020 academic year.
The Head Football Coach will serve as an institutional representative and ambassador. Football’s status and impact will therefore require full support and buy-in to institutional priorities. The following will guide the work of the football program from an institutional perspective, and it is imperative that the Head Football Coach is committed to the following:
- The gritty, but promising work of building a program from the ground up
- Ensuring that players develop athletically and academically
- Building a team culture of character, respect, academic commitment, and accountability
- Collaborating in the creation of a campus culture in which students participate and engage outside the classroom and in which campus vibrancy is increased
- Engaging the Wilson community
- Developing team and institutional pride.
Barton seeks a coach that ultimately supports and believes in the Barton College mission of encouraging the intellectual, spiritual, social, and cultural development of our students, in which student learning from an institutional perspective is the highest of priorities.
Duties as the Head Football Coach include, but are not limited to:
- Modeling the team culture of character, respect, academic commitment, and accountability on and off the field
- Recruiting and retaining a minimum roster size of 125 student-athletes, including varsity and junior varsity team experiences
- Leading practices and games, guiding staff and player activities
- Providing professional development, leadership, and supervision of all football personnel
- Providing leadership to facilitate player academic and personal success
- Performing administrative tasks necessary in coaching the team
- Participating in the Wilson community with activities such as team community service work, camps, youth clinics, and promotion of the sport
- Building support for the program within the college, community, Barton’s alumni, and beyond
- Leading student-athletes in campus engagement and academic success activities
- Leading student-athletes to achieve balance between academic success and athletic excellence
- Monitoring students and holding them accountable for curricular and co-curricular engagement including class attendance, behavior, and participation
- Interacting with all levels of university officials, the media, state agencies, and other universities.
- Other duties as assigned by the Athletic Director.
A bachelor’s degree and previous football coaching experience are required. Prior coaching experience at an institution of higher education is highly preferred. The successful applicant will need to have certification in First Aid, CPR, and AED and must pass the NCAA Coaching Certification Test for NCAA Division II within the first two weeks of employment. Prior experience in NCAA Division II athletics is desired.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills required, with ability to effectively speak to groups of various sizes. Proven track record of reliability, responsibility, and integrity. Strong problem solving skills. Must be able to effectively operate in a fast-paced environment and have the ability to work independently of direct supervision. Strong organizational and planning skills and ability to be detail-oriented. Proven successful leadership skills with the ability to motivate, teach, and advance organizational goals.
Must abide by and comply in all respects with the constitution, bylaws, rules, regulations, advisory opinions, and interpretations as amended of the National Collegiate Athletic Association. In the event employee becomes aware or has reasonable cause to believe that a violation of the NCAA or Conference rules and regulations or of the College policies and procedures may have taken place, he/she shall promptly report such violations or suspected violations to the Athletic Director.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation will be commensurate with credentials and experience. Barton College offers a competitive benefits package available to all full-time employees.
Applicants that apply by May 1 will receive full consideration. To apply, send a letter of application, resume/vita, and contact information (email addresses and telephone numbers) for at least three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body, and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.