Barton College has an opening for a Head Cheerleading/Dance/Stunt Coach and Game-Day Experience Manager. Reporting directly to the Athletic Director, this individual will be responsible for building a high-quality, nationally-recognized, and respected Cheer, Dance, and Stunt program at Barton College. In addition to the overall administration of the sport program, it is the Coach’s responsibility to foster and encourage goals of student-athletes, stress the elements of sportsmanship and fair play, and do so with the mission of Barton College and any applicable conferences and/or organizations that provide oversight. The Coach is responsible for preparing the cheerleading, dance, and stunt teams for events and/or competition and for motivating athletes to develop an appreciation of the sport. The Coach will uphold the mission and vision of Barton College through appropriate role modeling, ethical behavior, and decision-making; active engagement of students in the life and values of the College; and adherence to all College procedures, rules, regulations, and policies. This position will also be responsible for all aspects of game-day experience across all sports.
- To conduct the sport program according to all applicable rules regulations, guidelines, and standards for financial aid, eligibility, and recruiting.
- To prepare and operate within the sport budget and follow purchasing and spending guidelines as set by the College.
- To successfully pass any required coaching certification exams.
- To support leadership and participate in overall athletic administration needs.
- To schedule, conduct, and supervise all team practice sessions and to complete game schedules with confirmed travel arrangements.
- To manage all aspects of the Barton game-day experience across all sports, including the Barton mascot and related fan engagement under the overall direction of the Athletic Director.
- To recruit quality student-athletes while meeting roster goals.
- To assist with student-athlete eligibility certification and completion of forms and medical exams; provide reports to the Compliance Office as required; and report any rule violations, injuries, or accidents involving student-athletes and misconduct of student-athletes.
- To work, communicate, and develop rapport with students, parents, alumni, faculty/staff, and administration; to engage in public relations activities; and to promote Barton College and the sport program in a positive manner.
- To provide mentoring and team development for all programs under his/her supervision.
- To hold organizational meetings for team prospects and to encourage students to participate.
- To assess skills and assign team positions.
- To coach and instruct individually or in groups, regarding the rules, regulations, equipment, and techniques of the sport.
- To observe team members during events and practice to determine the needs for individual or team improvement.
- To monitor the academic performance of team members to ensure that eligibility requirements are met.
- To model sportsman-like, professional behavior and maintain appropriate conduct towards team members, officials, and spectators. This includes wearing of appropriate apparel and behavior in general.
- To appropriately engage the community at organized events and/or otherwise to promote the team and Barton. This will include on- and off-campus events.
- To act as a team representative and promote cheer, dance, and stunt by communicating (in coordination with the Sports Information Office) with the news media and other organizations.
- To follow established procedures for supplies and uniforms.
- To participate in special activities as applicable.
- To model nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
- Other duties assigned by the Director of Athletics.
Desired Education, Skills, and Experience
Master’s degree preferred; bachelor’s degree required. Must have prior experience coaching cheer, dance, and stunt or some combination thereof with three to five years of experience preferred. Collegiate and/or high school experience coaching these disciplines preferred. Must be willing to obtain certifications in CPR/First Aid and be willing to obtain other certifications as needed. Appropriate certifications for stunt required. Possession of or ability to obtain a valid North Carolina Driver’s license. Experience and knowledge of cheerleading, dance, and stunt training with the ability to improve individual techniques/skills and performance strategy. Experience with and knowledge of NCAA rules. Strong oral and written skills, excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, and adequate computer skills. High ethical standards and ability to work with diverse faculty, staff, students, and the public. Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
Review of candidates will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. If interested, please submit a letter of interest, current resume, and contact information for three people who are willing to serve as references to Human Resources at email@example.com.
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.