Barton College is currently seeking candidates to fill two Groundskeeper positions. Responsibilities include maintaining campus grounds as assigned and keeping all walkways, roadways, parking lots, and landscapes neat, clean and presentable and free of trash, fallen leaves, snow, and ice. The incumbents will operate hand and power tools and light, mechanized equipment such as power mowers, tractor mowers, trenching devices, forklifts, and hoists. Assigned work such as mowing, pruning, trimming, edging, leaf removal, de-icing, etc. may fluctuate by season.
Seasonal Grounds Care (45%)
- Mow lawns, edge, whip, aerate, thatch, fertilize, maintain planter beds.
- Perform tasks such as planting, weeding, sweeping, raking, salting, etc.
- Remove snow and ice as needs arise or sand and de-ice.
- Clean and upkeep sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, ornamental beds, etc.
- Operate various types of equipment including power mowers, blowers, saws, weed eaters, hedge trimmers, sprayers, etc.
Trash Clean-Up and General Maintenance (25%)
- Keep the college campus free of trash, debris, and litter to present a clean, neat, and attractive environment.
- Ensure trash containers are in their proper place and emptied on a regularly scheduled basis.
Daily Operations, Projects and Events (15%)
Carry out small assignments that may arise in the day-to-day operation of the college, such as, but not limited to, the following:
- Clean debris and trash from around the campus fountains.
- Assist in setting up for special events and regularly scheduled events such as commencement, registration, open houses, honors convocations, and campus clean-up after such events.
- Assist in the moving of furniture, lab equipment, athletic equipment, or any other items that must be moved for the general operation of the College.
- Aid the various maintenance trades in general clean-up of job sites.
Vehicle and Equipment Maintenance (10%)
- Drive and operate various campus vehicles.
- Perform periodic maintenance and make minor repairs on tools, equipment, and vehicles in order to maximize efficiency and life span.
Other Duties as Assigned (5%)
- Complete required forms and paperwork as needed.
- Report broken and malfunctioning equipment to supervisor.
This job requires working with and around hazardous building materials containing asbestos and solvents; exposure to environmental allergens (grasses, weeds, pollens, and trees); frequent lifting, climbing, and moving; and exposure to hot and cold temperatures when working outside.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This is largely a physical role requiring moderate physical strength. Requires frequent lifting, moving, carrying, pushing, pulling of 50-75 lbs., occasionally lifting up to 100 lbs. Requires frequent standing, walking, stooping, kneeling, and crouching in performing grounds tasks including mowing, planting, pruning, trimming, watering, fertilizing, and weeding; operating hand and power tools.
Desired Education, Skills, and Experience
Graduation from high school or equivalent education; OR 12 months of equivalent combination of education and/or experience. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Follow oral and written instructions.
- Read and understand written instructions, directions, and assembly schematics.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Operate and perform preventive maintenance on equipment used in grounds maintenance work.
- Maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, employees, vendors, and the general public.
- Perform basic maintenance on grounds equipment.
- Plan and schedule routine grounds service activities.
- Safely and properly operate a wide variety of grounds maintenance tools and equipment.
General Knowledge of:
- Gardening and landscape methods, techniques, material, and equipment.
- Methods, materials, and tools used in grounds services work.
- Identification and eradication of common weeds, pests, and plant diseases associated with gardening.
- Health and safety practices applicable to grounds maintenance work.
Please submit a current resume, and contact information for at least three professional references (all should be MS Word or PDF format) to Human Resources at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled. In lieu of a resume, you can complete the attached application and submit it electronically to the address above or mail it to:
P.O. Box 5000
Wilson, NC 27893
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.