Barton College currently has an opening for a full-time Executive Director of Marketing and Communications. Reporting directly to the Vice President of Enrollment and Marketing, the Executive Director is responsible for developing and implementing creative strategies for the advancement of all programs, educational offerings, events, and distinctive features of Barton College.
- Plans, directs, and implements an energetic, coordinated marketing and communications strategy in support of the College’s mission and established priorities.
- Works with the VP, staff, and other members of the senior management team, to advance and distinguish the Barton College brand through all communication media and to all Barton constituencies.
- Develops strategies to support the goals of enrollment, retention, student engagement, athletics, and advancement while engaging regularly and strategically with leadership in those areas. Similarly, engages with the Provost, the Deans, and other academic leaders to effectively tell the Barton Story and build recognition and visibility for academic programs.
- Develops and institutes appropriate accountability metrics for marketing activities and campaigns, using them to assess against defined goals and develop specific steps to incorporate those goals to achieve optimal return on investment.
- Oversees budget management for the division including development, oversight, and adjustment of initiatives to ensure effective fiscal responsibility.
- Provides leadership, engagement, and management to a team of marketing and communication professionals covering public relations, marketing, and digital and social media.
- Keeps current on trends and emerging tools, platforms, outreach, and media opportunities and, with the VP, manages and implements a long-term strategic approach to marketing and communications.
- Performs other responsibilities as assigned.
This position operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, plotters, cameras, video equipment, and other machines. The noise level in the work environment is typical for a communications center. Incumbent may encounter frequent interruptions throughout the work day.
The employee is regularly required to sit, talk, or hear; frequently required to use repetitive hand motion, handle or feel, and to stand, walk, reach, bend, or lift up to 20 pounds. Contact with the public and people in general office environments may risk exposure to a variety of behaviors and other risks accordingly.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Desired Education, Skills, and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree strongly preferred
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience in progressively responsible roles in marketing and/or communications required, including at least 4 years in marketing
- Excellent and proven written, oral, interpersonal communication, organizational, analytical, and follow-through skills
- Knowledge of and demonstrated abilities in web, social media, and digital arenas
- Writing and editing experience necessary, as well as managerial experience in supervising projects and/or directing the activities of communications and marketing staff
- Ability to lead and work in a high-volume, high-demand, highly collaborative, and team-oriented office
- Must be organized, creative, enterprising, persuasive, and tactful
- Demonstrate flexibility and the ability to perform well under stress
- Must possess understanding of the job at strategic and tactical levels
- Must be able to work well with people at all levels of the organization, and to employ discretion in handling confidential and proprietary information appropriately
Please submit a current resume and contact information for at least three professional references (all should be MS Word or PDF format) to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Any claims of discrimination for Title IX or otherwise should be directed to our Title IX Coordinator, Victoria A. Morris, at P.O. Box 5000, Wilson, NC 27893, or at 252-399-6330 or email@example.com.