Barton is seeking a Director of Special Events and Donor Relations. Under the direction of the Vice President for Institutional Advancement, the Director creates, implements, manages, and assesses a comprehensive special-events and donor-relations plan to assist the College and the Advancement team in reaching strategic annual and long-range fundraising goals. The scope of work includes campus-wide special events under the Office of Advancement and the Office of the President, donor relations, and stewardship. The Director works closely with the Director of Alumni Engagement and Annual Giving, the Director of Gifts and Information Management, and the Assistant Vice President for Leadership Giving.
- Creates, oversees, and executes strategic special events. This will include, but not be limited to, Wilson-Barton Partnership, Homecoming, Prelude to Christmas, Scholarship Luncheon, Bell Society event, and other cultivation/stewardship events.
- Works closely with the Office of the President to execute and manage special events being held in the Barton-Graves House, including pre- and post-holiday preparation.
- Ensures special events are communicated and on the calendar of appropriate officials and targeted guests.
- Develops, implements, and leads a successful and integrated donor-relations program that strategically targets all levels of giving as defined by the Advancement team.
- Ensures donors are acknowledged and recognized to strengthen their financial support for the College.
- Coordinates and manages the College’s annual student scholarship letter-writing event, at which students write thank-you letters to scholarship donors.
- Manages and coordinates annual scholarship and endowment external reporting to donors.
- Creates innovative programs and projects to thank and steward donors, and supervises stewardship plan for Advancement team members and the College’s top leadership.
- Acts as a liaison and specialist to advancement personnel in order to provide cultivation and stewardship assistance to individual donors and prospects.
- Maintains a portfolio of 10-20 donors capable of supporting the College in the $1,000 – $5,000 range for the purpose of solicitation.
- Tracks donor relations and stewardship activities in the established databases to enhance relationships and increase the likelihood of continued contributions.
- Works closely with Advancement staff to report to donors on the use of gifts, to arrange meetings between donors and beneficiaries if appropriate, and to help celebrate gifts.
- May supervise staff and student workers.
Desired Education, Skills, and Experience
Bachelor’s degree is required. A minimum of five years of experience in fundraising or constituent relations with an educational institution. Proven experience in producing, managing, and executing special events; and specific experience in stewardship and cultivation of donors, alumni, and other constituents. A strong work ethic, personal integrity, and ability to be discreet in handling confidential and proprietary information appropriately. Excellent verbal and written communication skills required, with ability to work effectively with diverse constituencies. Strategic thinking and planning skills with the ability to operate effectively in a fast-paced environment. Evidence of ability to produce results as well as a commitment to lifelong learning and professional growth are also required.
Review of candidates will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. If interested, please submit a letter of interest, current resume, and contact information for three people who are willing to serve as references to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.