Barton College seeks a dynamic, innovative, creative, and collaborative founding Dean of the School of Health Sciences.
As the inaugural Dean, the incumbent will provide strategic visioning for the School of Health Sciences and be responsible for program evaluation and development, corporate and community outreach, management of administrative and financial affairs (including faculty/staff management, budget/facilities planning), and initiatives that drive enrollment in the School of Health Sciences. This work will include development of new undergraduate and graduate degrees that synergize with existing programs in Nursing, Allied Health, Psychology, and the Life Sciences. The Dean will work closely with community partners, faculty, and the VP for Academic Affairs to develop curricular and co-curricular programming that addresses health and wellness needs of the region and that emphasize rural health care and experiential learning. The Dean will also serve as a member of the VPAA’s Dean’s council.
The new School of Health Sciences at Barton College offers degree programs in Nursing, Exercise Science, Kinesiology, Health Promotion, Biology, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, and Psychology. Community partnerships will be foundational to the mission of the School of Health Sciences.
- Create and extoll a vision for the School that aligns with the mission of the College, advances Barton’s profile, enhances enrollment, and resonates with prospective students and community partners.
- Collaborate with faculty to develop, implement, and evaluate new graduate and undergraduate programs that align with the mission and vision of the School of Health Sciences, including Population Health, Nurse Practitioner, and Respiratory Therapy.
- Oversee delivery of academic programs including developing course schedules; recruitment, development, and support of adjunct faculty; and ongoing mentorship, support, and evaluation of School of Health Sciences faculty and staff.
- Lead assessment processes including working with Directors/coordinators to ensure that program objectives and learning outcomes align with and advance the mission of the College and are in compliance with program review, program accreditation, and SACSCOC accreditation standards.
- In collaboration with Directors/coordinators, responsibly develop and manage program resources including budgets, staffing levels, and contract requests for approval prior to review by the VPAA.
- Partner with Marketing to envision, create, and implement marketing materials that raise the profile of School programs. This includes creation of content for College publications including social media and the College’s web presence.
- Collaborate with Enrollment Management on recruiting efforts both on and off campus, including coordinating a School presence at on-campus recruiting events
- Investigate and develop additional revenue streams, including grants.
- In collaboration with the VPAA, explore viability and development of new academic programs that advance the mission of the School of Health Sciences.
- Foster internal and external partnerships that provide distinctive learning opportunities and enhance enrollment.
- Collaborate with campus partners to identify, integrate, and deliver career readiness outcomes in academic programs.
- Ensure adherence with College policies and procedures.
- Support workforce diversity in all aspects.
- Attend meetings and events (including those to promote the School and/or represent the College) and actively participate in School and College committees and taskforces.
- Other duties as assigned.
Desired Education, Skills, and Experience
The College seeks a candidate with administrative experience, record of successful teaching, and the vision to guide the new School of Health Sciences to manifesting the mission and vision of Barton College. Specific requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree and eight years of related experience.
- Earned doctorate with a record of academic achievement in the discipline meriting appointment as a tenured full Professor in an academic department within the School of Health Science.
- A record of proven leadership and administrative experience related to the work of the School or related multidisciplinary programs.
- Demonstrated understanding of the instructional and creative needs of undergraduate and graduate programs in the liberal arts, interdisciplinary studies and professional disciplines.
- Experience with budget management, faculty and staff development, and promoting college and community relations.
- Demonstrated success in obtaining federal, state, or private grants preferred.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with faculty, staff, students, and the broader educational and professional communities, including health service providers and community-based organizations.
- Demonstrated effectiveness working in a multi-cultural environment, with evidence of a strong commitment to the goals of higher education serving diverse populations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to handle multiple priorities effectively in a high-volume environment.
Review of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Responsibilities will begin with the 2024-2025 academic year. Applications must include letter of interest, current vita, statement on teaching philosophy, unofficial transcripts, and contact information for three people who are willing to serve as reference with at least one of the references able to address teaching ability and potential. Applications should be directed electronically to Dr. Kevin Pennington, Vice President of Academic Affairs, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Any claims of discrimination for Title IX or otherwise should be directed to our Title IX Coordinator, Victoria A. Morris, at P.O. Box 5000, Wilson, NC 27893, or at 252-399-6330 or email@example.com.