Barton College currently has openings for Custodial Staff responsible for cleaning assigned buildings. Regular duties include vacuuming classrooms and offices, cleaning restrooms, emptying trash, wiping and dusting vertical and horizontal surfaces, and performing annual maintenance such as waxing floors and cleaning carpets. May require working nights and/or weekends in support of college events as needed.
Note: This job description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and other essential functions (as covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act) expected of an incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of an incumbent. An incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required.
Trash Duty and General Cleaning (25%)
- Empty waste receptacles
- Polish furniture
- Clean chalkboards/whiteboards
- Disinfect horizontal and vertical surfaces
- Organize and stocky supply closet
Floor and Carpet Care (25%)
- Dust, mop, and apply finish to various types of floors
- Vacuum and shampoo various types of carpets
Restroom Cleaning (25%)
- Clean, sanitize, and/or disinfect restrooms, showers, bathtubs, sinks using prescribed schedules, methods, and procedures
- Clean and disinfect all dispensers, fixtures, and mirrors
- Refill toilet tissue, paper towel, and soap dispensers
- Sweep and mop tile floors
- Clean and disinfect partitions and doors
Utility Cleaning (20%)
- Operate various types of powered equipment such as electric strippers, buffers, burnishers, power washers, and vacuums
- Request cleaning supplies as needed
- Sweep and mop stairs as needed
- Haul trash to dumpsters
- Sweep and mop entrances of buildings
- Clean windows and glass
- Mop and scrub hard surface floors
- Move and transport furniture to different locations
- Set up rooms in a timely manner for meetings and special events
- Replace light bulbs, fluorescent tubes, vacuum belts, and bags
Other Duties as Assigned (5%)
- Complete required forms and paperwork as needed
- Report broken and malfunctioning equipment to supervisor
- Request cleaning supplies
This job requires working with and around hazardous building materials and solvents; frequent lifting; frequent use of ladders; and exposure to hot and cold temperatures when working outside.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This is largely a physical role requiring moderate physical strength. Requires the ability to lift boxes and trash bags up to 50lbs. Perform custodial tasks including mopping, sweeping, vacuuming, washing windows, and cleaning restrooms.
Desired Education, Skills, and Experience
Graduation from high school or equivalent education OR 12 months of general work experience.
- read labels and directions on cleaning agents and equipment
- follow oral and written instructions
- read and understand written instructions, directions, and assembly schematics
- communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- learn new methods of cleaning
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, employees, vendors, and the general public
- perform basic maintenance on custodial equipment such as changing belts, brushes, and replacing bags
- operate various powered equipment used to scrub, strip, apply finish, vacuum, polish, burnish, and buff various types of floors.
General knowledge of:
- practices related to custodial services
- environmental health and safety practices applicable to custodial services such as handling hazardous materials and awareness of asbestos and blood-borne pathogens
- cleaning agents, materials and equipment used in custodial functions
- safe and proper methods of using/mixing cleaning chemicals
- proper care and cleaning of assigned areas.
Please submit a current resume and contact information for at least three professional references (all should be MS Word or PDF format) to Human Resources, at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled. In lieu of a resume, you may complete the attached application and submit it electronically to the address above or mail it to:
P.O. Box 5000
Wilson, NC 27893.
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.