Barton College, in Wilson, North Carolina, invites applications and referrals for the Controller position in the Administration and Finance Division. The Controller reports directly to the Vice President for Administration and Finance/CFO. This opportunity is created through growth and reorganization in the Division.
Job Summary/Essential Functions
- Serve as the Chief Accounting Officer for the College.
- Join the leadership team in the division along with the Director of Treasury Services, Senior Director of Technology Services, Director of Facilities Services, and CFO.
- Provide active day-to-day supervision of staff in accounting, accounts payable, purchasing, and auxiliary enterprises. Contribute to staff professional development.
- Establish and maintain a sound system of internal controls and segregation of duties.
- Directly responsible for scheduling and managing annual audits. Participate with the CFO in meeting with the Audit Committee and Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees.
- Prepare strategic financial analysis as requested by the CFO and Senior Staff.
- Prepare and maintain accurate interim and annual financial reports for internal and external constituents of the College.
- Maintain the general ledger and provide leadership in improvements in the accounting information systems, working closely with the technology services department.
- Manage business-related policies including recommending new policies and revisions to existing policies.
- Oversee records retention for business-related records.
- Manage accounting for all funds of the College.
- Administer control of College property and inventory functions. Maintain fixed asset records.
- Perform other College-related duties as may be required by the CFO.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, master’s degree in business or accounting (preferred).
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
- Three or more years of supervisory experience.
- Excellent communication and management skills.
- Advanced computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office and ERP systems for comparably sized or larger institutions.
- Thorough knowledge of the operations, functions, and scope of authority common in business affairs in College or similar organizations.
- Ability to organize, manage, and be highly productive in meeting deadlines and to work cooperatively with faculty, staff, and students.
- Experience in higher education institutions, large nonprofit organizations, or similar institutions.
Please electronically submit application materials including a letter of interest, resume, and five career-related references to Luann Clark, executive administrative specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed as received with an anticipated start date in early 2020.
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.