The School of Sciences at Barton College seeks candidates for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant Professor of Social Work position with an administrative director appointment for an anticipated start date of August 2022.
The successful candidate will teach across the social work curriculum and serve as the director of the social work program. The incumbent is responsible for overseeing the planning, implementation, and assessment/evaluation of all components of the BSW program, including budgeting, coordinating the reaccreditation process, and overseeing student recruitment and advising. Additional responsibilities include participating in departmental, college, and professional service. While the ability to maintain a program of scholarly activities and to mentor students in those activities is important, priority will be given to candidates who demonstrate a strong commitment to teaching undergraduate students.
Assistant Professor Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Teaching a 3/3 course load, which may include online and evening teaching.
- Developing syllabi reflective of CSWE core competencies and practice behaviors.
- Developing appropriate student-learning outcomes reflective of the CSWE core competencies.
- Providing academic benchmark assessments for annual reports.
- Serving as academic advisor to social work majors and as advisor to the student organization.
- Serving on departmental and college committees.
Program Director Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serving as the official program representative to CSWE and overseeing all reaccreditation matters, yearly reports, assessment data, current standards, and annual dues.
- Leading the programmatic reaccreditation process, including preparation of the self-study and reaffirmation documents.
- Ensuring implementation of the BSW program curriculum in compliance with CSWE standards.
- Supervising full-time program faculty and staff; recruiting and mentoring adjunct faculty.
- Supervising the Field Director and assisting in development of community partnerships.
- Developing annual budget proposal; managing annual program budget
- Collaborating with Admissions Office to recruit students for traditional and Professional Studies tracks.
- Representing the program to the community and social service agencies.
- Providing overall leadership through teaching, scholarship, curriculum development, assessment, administration, and other academic and professional activities in social work.
Desired Education, Skills, and Experience
- MSW from a CSWE-accredited social work program, with a doctoral degree preferred
- CSWE accreditation experience
- Two years post-MSW experience
- Ability to teach across the social work curriculum
- Ability to teach general education courses, such as Introduction to Sociology
- Ability to effectively teach online courses
- Ability to effectively advise students
- Proficiency in database, word processing, spreadsheet software, and electronic communication
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to effectively interact and communicate with all levels inside and outside the organization
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Must be able to effectively work independent of direct supervision
- Strong organizational and planning skills and ability to be detail-oriented
- Prior director/administrative experience at the undergraduate level
- Teaching experience at the undergraduate level
- Teaching experience with distance education technology
- An earned doctorate or ABD in social work or related field
This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and photocopiers. Social Work offices share communal space with two other disciplines. Professional collegiality is expected.
Review of applicants will begin on February 1, 2022, and will continue until the position is filled. If interested, please submit a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, statement on teaching philosophy, and contact information for three people who are willing to serve as references with at least one of the references able to address teaching ability and potential. Applications should be directed electronically to Dr. Tamara Avant, Dean of the School of Sciences, at email@example.com.
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Any claims of discrimination for Title IX or otherwise should be directed to our Title IX Coordinator, Victoria A. Morris, at P.O. Box 5000, Wilson, NC 27893, or at 252-399-6330 or firstname.lastname@example.org.