Barton College is seeking candidates for the full-time, tenure-track faculty position of Assistant Professor of Nursing with an anticipated start date of August 2023. The successful candidate will have a strong clinical background and ability to teach at all levels of the Nursing Program. In addition to teaching in the Nursing program, the successful candidate’s responsibilities will include academic advising, holding office hours, assisting students outside of class, and active participation in the life of the School and College. The successful candidate will provide didactic and clinical instruction, and will demonstrate a commitment to excellence in teaching.
The Nursing Program has a rich history of graduating well-prepared Nurses for over 50 years and will be an integral part of the new School of Health Sciences at Barton College. The Nursing Program includes the undergraduate seated BSN, online RN-BSN, and MSN programs.
- Doctorate in Nursing (preferred) with a required MSN
- Either hold or be eligible for an unrestricted license to practice nursing in North Carolina
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to working with students and colleagues of diverse backgrounds
- Academic preparation as a Nurse Practitioner
- Flexibility in teaching different content areas and at all levels of the Nursing Program
- Experience with on-line and hybrid instruction
- Experience mentoring students
Note: This job description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and other essential functions (as covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act) expected of an incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of an incumbent. An incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required.
Essential Functions (some responsibilities may fall in several categories but are only listed once for summary purposes):
- Teach undergraduate level courses in the Nursing Program.
- Provide appreciative academic advising.
- Community outreach and networking.
- Support ongoing assessment work.
- Other duties as assigned.
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and fax machines.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position requires standing for various lengths of time, ability to use fine motor skills for writing/typing, some filing is required. Requires ability to lift files, books and papers, open filing cabinets and sitting, bending or standing as necessary.
Desired Education, Skills, and Experience:
The College seeks a candidate with content expertise, record of successful teaching, and a
collaborative and innovative mindset that will deepen student learning. Specific requirements noted below:
- Masters of Science in Nursing;
- Ability to collaborate effectively with faculty, staff, students, and the broader educational and professional communities, including College and community-based organizations;
- Demonstrated effectiveness working in a multi-cultural environment; and evidence of a strong commitment to the goals of higher education serving diverse populations desired.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to handle multiple priorities effectively in a high-volume environment.
- Ability to Teach
Please submit a current resume and contact information for at least three professional references (all should be MS Word or PDF format) to People & Support at the email indicated in this posting. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Any claims of discrimination for Title IX or otherwise should be directed to our Title IX Coordinator, Victoria A. Morris, at P.O. Box 5000, Wilson, NC 27893, or at 252-399-6330 or email@example.com.