- Academic Programs
- Schools & Departments
- School of Arts & Sciences
- – Art & Design
- – Communication & Performing Arts
- – English & Modern Languages
- – History & Social Sciences
- – Physical Education, Sport Studies, & Gerontology
- – Religion and Philosophy
- – Science & Mathematics
- School of Business
- School of Education
- School of Nursing
- School of Social Work
- Honors Program
- Course Offerings
- Academic Resources
- Faculty Directory
- Office of the Registrar
- Hackney Library
- International Travel
- Campus Bookstore
- College Catalogs
- Current Students
WILSON, N.C. — The Lighting of the Luminaries and the Service of Christmas Lessons and Carols, long-standing traditions for the Barton College community, will usher in the Christmas season on Tuesday, Dec. 3. The College family invites the surrounding community to join them for this festive celebration of events on campus.
The celebration will begin with a festive candlelight dinner served in the Hamlin Student Center Dining Hall at 5 p.m. Cost for the meal is $6 for adults and $3 for children and students not on the meal plan.
At 4 p.m., students will begin lighting 2,000 luminaries across 32 acres of the main campus, and at 6 p.m., students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends of the College, and members of the greater Wilson community will gather on center campus for the blessing and lighting of the Christmas tree. The outdoor program will include brief remarks by Dr. Norval C. Kneten, president of Barton College, and the Reverend Jamie Eubanks, chaplain of the College as well as musical selections performed by the Barton College Gospel Choir and the Sign Choir. There is no charge for the outdoor program.
Immediately following the blessing and lighting of the tree, participants will move to Howard Chapel for the annual Service of Christmas Lessons and Carols featuring the Barton College Choir led by music director Mark Peterson. The Choir will perform songs of the season by Rutter, Sjolund, Ord, and Dawson, among others. The musical selections will be interspersed with readings of scripture by members of the Department of Religion and Philosophy, with Rev. Eubanks presiding over the program. There is no charge for the choir program.
For additional information about the Lighting of the Luminaries program, please contact the Reverend Jamie Eubanks, chaplain of the college, at 252-399-6368. For additional information about the choir program, please contact Mark Peterson, director of music, at 252-399-6535.
- Barton Art Galleries’ To Host An Art and Decorative Arts Appraisal Day on March 20 with J. Chris Wilson March 5, 2014
- Barton’s Artist-in-Residence J. Chris Wilson to present “Jan van Eyck: Decoding an Enigma” on March 19 March 5, 2014
- “Continuing Conversations” Group Exhibition Opens At the Barton Art Galleries on March 16 March 5, 2014
- Caregiver Education Conference Postponed Until May March 3, 2014
- Barton’s Dr. Kelly Thompson to Participate in National Executive Leadership Academy February 25, 2014