- Academics at Barton
- Schools & Departments
- Whitehurst Family Honors Program
- Travel at Barton
- Center for Religious Studies
- Continuing Education
- Course Offerings
- Academic Resources
- Faculty Directory
- Office of the Registrar
- Hackney Library
- College Catalogs
- Current Students
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
If you’re considering a career in public or private accounting, Barton’s accountancy major is designed for you. Here, you’ll master accounting and business principles through individualized instruction, one-on-one help sessions, and group-learning activities. At the same time, you’ll have the added benefit of Barton’s liberal arts focus, which emphasizes reading, writing, and critical thinking. This means that at Barton you’ll get both a broad education and the specialized knowledge that employers find especially attractive.
As an accountancy major, you’ll take a sequence of courses in intermediate-level financial accountancy that encompasses the theory and application of professional standards for business. Other courses round out your education by showing you how accounting relates to economics, marketing, management, and finance.
The School of Business
The School of Business faculty offer a level of personal attention unsurpassed by other business programs. Many members of the faculty have work experience in their field of expertise and are active in professional organizations on both a regional and national basis. Using teaching techniques that involve simulations, experiments, working as a team, and off-campus learning, your professors will engage you in the material in innovative ways and help you apply it to concrete issues in business.
Scholarships and Financial Aid
The School of Business grants a variety of endowed scholarships to majors in the Business School during their junior and senior years. These scholarships are given to students who excel in the classroom and are active on campus. Some of these scholarships include:
- The Andrews Scholarship Fund, awarded by the business faculty to students demonstrating superior scholarship, leadership in club activities, service, and future promise in their chosen major.
- The Gretchen B. Boyette Endowed Scholarship, awarded to students with financial need who are pursuing a major in the School of Business.
- The Gary F. Singleton Scholarship, awarded to business students on the basis of character, ability, scholarship, leadership, and need.
- The Larry W. Staley Memorial Scholarship, given to handicapped students and business students with financial need.
- The C. Buren Williford Family Scholarship, awarded to a full-time student pursuing a degree in the School of Business.
Office of Admissions
101 Harper Hall
P.O. Box 5000
Wilson, N.C. 27893