- Academic Programs
- Schools & Departments
- Honors Program
- Center for Religious Studies
- Course Offerings
- Academic Resources
- Faculty Directory
- Office of the Registrar
- Hackney Library
- International Travel
- Campus Bookstore
- College Catalogs
- Current Students
WILSON, N.C. – Barton College is pleased to welcome Alan Michael Parker for the upcoming Victor R. Small Writers Series Lecture on Monday, Nov. 4. The lecture will be held at 7:30 p.m. in The Sam and Marjorie Ragan Writing Center on campus. It is free and open to the public, and all are invited to attend this event.
An accomplished writer, Parker has penned seven collections of poems and three novels that reveal a delightful play with language, keen wit, and sense of the world’s sad ironies. His latest poetry collection, “Long Division,” won the 2012 Roanoke-Chowan Award in Poetry and is a finalist for the 2013 Rilke Prize as well as the Eric Hofer Award. Parker edited “The Imaginary Poets,” and his poems have appeared in journals such as “Kenyon Review,” “The New Yorker,” and “The American Poetry Review,” as well as in “The Best American Poetry” anthology. Winner of three Pushcart Prizes and the 2013 Randall Jarrell Award, he earned his Master of Fine Arts degree at the School of the Arts at Columbia University and is Douglas C. Houchens Professor of English at Davidson College.
Beginning January 2014, Parker will join the faculty of the University of Tampa Low-Residency Master of Fine Arts program, where he will work with graduate student writers in both poetry and fiction.
Parker resides in Davidson with his wife, artist Felicia van Bork.
The Victor R. Small Writers Series is sponsored by the Department of English and Modern Languages at Barton College. For additional information, please contact Dr. Jim Clark, chair of the Department of English and Modern Languages and the Elizabeth H. Jordan Endowed Chair for Southern Literature at (252) 399-6450 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Grand Opening of the K.D. Kennedy, Jr. Rare Book Room in Barton’s Hackney Library is Scheduled for Sept. 25 September 16, 2014
- “Art History Crash Course for the Painter or Collector” Led by J. Chris Wilson on Tuesday, Sept. 23 September 9, 2014
- Barton Welcomes Dr. Troy Kickler for Constitution Day on Sept. 17 September 9, 2014
- Barton Welcomes UNC Archivist Stephen Fletcher To Discuss Hugh Morton Photographs on Sept. 16 September 9, 2014
- Travel with Friends of Visual Arts to the N.C. Museum of Art September 3, 2014