- Academic Programs
- Schools & Departments
- School of Arts & Sciences
- – Art & Design
- – Communication & Performing Arts
- – English & Modern Languages
- – History & Social Sciences
- – Physical Education, Sport Studies, & Gerontology
- – Religion and Philosophy
- – Science & Mathematics
- School of Business
- School of Education
- School of Nursing
- School of Social Work
- Honors Program
- Course Offerings
- Academic Resources
- Faculty Directory
- Office of the Registrar
- Hackney Library
- International Travel
- Campus Bookstore
- College Catalogs
- Current Students
WILSON, N.C. — Barton College will welcome Geney Beltrán Félix as the featured speaker for the Latin American Writers Lecture on Wednesday, Nov. 14, at 7:30 p.m. in The Sam and Marjorie Ragan Writing Center. His lecture, “Americans Born in Mexico,” will focus on the presence and influence of U.S. culture and literature in Mexican authors’ novels.
Among Beltrán’s published works are “Cartas ajenas” (translated “Letters from Others”) 2011, the short story collection titled “Habla de lo que sabes” (“Talk About What You Know”) 2009, and two volumes of literary essays “El sueño no is un refugio sino una arma” (“Dreams Are Weapons Not Refuge”) 2009, and “El biógrafo de su lector” (“The Reader’s Biographer”), the winner of the “Premio Nacional de Ensayo Joven” (National Young Essayist Prize) of 2003.
Beltrán has written extensively about contemporary Mexican and Latin American narrative, and he has been published in notable periodicals such as “Letras libres” and “Nexos,” and in literary supplements of national newspapers “Laberinto” and “La Jornada Semanal.”
A graduate of the National Autonomous University of Mexico (Universidad Autónoma de México), Beltrán completed a degree in Hispanic Arts and Letters and also studied English literature at the University of Toronto. He was the recipient of an endowed scholarly grant from Fundación para Letras Mexicanas (Foundation for Mexican Letters).
Beltrán currently resides in Mexico City, where he has worked as the managing literary editor of various publishing houses and magazines.
For additional information, please contact Dr. Antonio Moreno, Department of English, Modern Languages, and Religion, at 252-399-6457 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions? Please contact Kathy Daughety, director of public relations at Barton College, at 252-399-6529 or email: email@example.com.
- Barton Art Galleries’ To Host An Art and Decorative Arts Appraisal Day on March 20 with J. Chris Wilson March 5, 2014
- Barton’s Artist-in-Residence J. Chris Wilson to present “Jan van Eyck: Decoding an Enigma” on March 19 March 5, 2014
- “Continuing Conversations” Group Exhibition Opens At the Barton Art Galleries on March 16 March 5, 2014
- Caregiver Education Conference Postponed Until May March 3, 2014
- Barton’s Dr. Kelly Thompson to Participate in National Executive Leadership Academy February 25, 2014