- Academic Programs
- Schools & Departments
- School of Arts & Sciences
- – Art & Design
- – Communication & Performing Arts
- – English & Modern Languages
- – History & Social Sciences
- – Physical Education, Sport Studies, & Gerontology
- – Religion and Philosophy
- – Science & Mathematics
- School of Business
- School of Education
- School of Nursing
- School of Social Work
- Honors Program
- Course Offerings
- Academic Resources
- Faculty Directory
- Office of the Registrar
- Hackney Library
- International Travel
- Campus Bookstore
- College Catalogs
- Current Students
WILSON, N.C. — Valentine’s Day proved to be the perfect occasion to focus on heart health at Belk of Wilson as Barton College’s Association of Nursing Students (BCANS) educated customers about the importance of a healthy heart. Belk is focusing on heart health throughout the month of February.
Barton’s nursing students were on hand from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. on Tuesday to provide free blood pressure screenings and share information with Belk customers about cardiovascular disease and stroke. And, in celebration of Valentine’s Day, the nursing students made the screenings a little bit sweeter this year with a Hershey’s chocolate treat for each customer.
The nursing students took time to explain the risk factors of smoking, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, and high cholesterol, and their damaging effects on the heart. Customers were also reminded that choosing a heart-healthy diet, making time for exercise, and scheduling regular check-ups with physicians were important ways to keep their hearts healthy.
“The Barton College Association of Nursing Students is committed to providing community service through education and screenings for members of the greater Wilson community,” shared Nancy Thompson, senior nursing major. “We are pleased to be able to partner once again this year with Belk to raise awareness about heart hearth and to promote healthier lifestyle choices through diet and exercise.”
Leaders in the Wilson community, Barton College and Belk welcomed the opportunity to partner in this wellness education event focusing on heart health.
“We are very appreciative of the continued partnership Barton College has with our store throughout the year; however, our joint Heart Health Awareness campaign in February has quickly become a customer favorite,” said Zeb Whitehurst, Belk store manager. “Barton and Belk realize the value of promoting health awareness within the community, and this new annual tradition provides us a great opportunity to give back to our community. The students from Barton’s School of Nursing once again brought a high level of professionalism and enthusiasm to the event. It was exciting to see these students making a difference today by sharing their passion for health awareness with our customers.”
Questions? Please contact Kathy Daughety, director of public relations, at 252-399-6529 or email: email@example.com.
- Student Presentation on Gun Violence in the Media Scheduled for Dec. 10 December 5, 2013
- Executive Director of Research Triangle Energy Consortium To Discuss Fracturing for Natural Gas on Saturday, Dec. 14 December 5, 2013
- Barton’s Nursing Students Raise Awareness For Operation Christmas Soldier Project Donations November 22, 2013
- Barton College Ushers In The Christmas Season on Tuesday, Dec. 3 November 18, 2013
- November Announcement Brings Accolades to School of Nursing November 18, 2013