- Academic Programs
- Schools & Departments
- School of Arts & Sciences
- – Art & Design
- – Communication & Performing Arts
- – English & Modern Languages
- – History & Social Sciences
- – Physical Education, Sport Studies, & Gerontology
- – Religion and Philosophy
- – Science & Mathematics
- School of Business
- School of Education
- School of Nursing
- School of Social Work
- Honors Program
- Course Offerings
- Academic Resources
- Faculty Directory
- Office of the Registrar
- Hackney Library
- International Travel
- Campus Bookstore
- College Catalogs
- Current Students
WILSON, N.C. — Author and comedic performer Jane Borden will be on the Barton College campus for a book signing in the Willis N. Hackney Library on Thursday, Feb. 16, from 5:30 p.m. until 7 p.m. Sponsored and hosted by the Barton College Friends of Hackney Library, the book-signing event will include light refreshments and an opportunity to visit with the author. This program is open to the public at no charge, and the community is invited to attend.
Borden will be signing copies of her first book, “I Totally Meant to Do That,” a memoir in essays. Copies will be available for purchase during the book signing.
A native of Greensboro and an alumna of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Borden made the move from North Carolina to New York City in 1999. Her memoir, which among other things features her experiences as a Southern transplant to New York, has been hailed by “Garden and Gun” as “a must-read for displaced Southerners everywhere.” “Vanity Fair” called the book “affectionate” and “New York Magazine” deemed it “lowbrow-brilliant.” “The Brooklyn Paper” dubbed Borden “the new ‘It’ girl.” In the book, Borden contrasts her Southern debutante upbringing with her acquired Brooklyn-hipster persona.
Her humorous writing has also appeared in “The New York Times Magazine” and “Modern Bride,” in two anthologies, and on “Saturday Night Live.” As a comedian, she’s appeared on “Comedy Central” and “VH1,” and she performs regularly at storytelling and stand-up shows, and in festivals.
Borden was a staff editor at “Time Out New York” for seven years, predominantly covering comedy and theater, and health and wellness. She appeared regularly on local morning news programs (NBC, Fox, CW) as a guest expert. In addition, she has interviewed a variety of celebrities, including Ricky Gervais, Christopher Guest, and Garrison Keillor, among many others. She now resides with her husband in Sewanee, Tenn.
For additional information about the book signing, contact Cynthia Collins, at 252-399-6503 or email: email@example.com.
This event is sponsored in part by BB&T.
Questions? Please contact Kathy Daughety, director of public relations, at 252-399-6529 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Student Presentation on Gun Violence in the Media Scheduled for Dec. 10 December 5, 2013
- Executive Director of Research Triangle Energy Consortium To Discuss Fracturing for Natural Gas on Saturday, Dec. 14 December 5, 2013
- Barton’s Nursing Students Raise Awareness For Operation Christmas Soldier Project Donations November 22, 2013
- Barton College Ushers In The Christmas Season on Tuesday, Dec. 3 November 18, 2013
- November Announcement Brings Accolades to School of Nursing November 18, 2013