- Academic Programs
- Schools & Departments
- Honors Program
- Center for Religious Studies
- Course Offerings
- Academic Resources
- Faculty Directory
- Office of the Registrar
- Hackney Library
- International Travel
- Campus Bookstore
- College Catalogs
- Current Students
WILSON, N.C. – Barton College’s Victor R. Small Writers Series welcomes author Luke Whisnant for a reading to be held in The Sam and Marjorie Ragan Writing Center on Wednesday, Feb. 18, at 7:30 p.m. The upcoming event is open to the public at no charge, and the community is invited to attend.
Whisnant is the author of “Street,” a chapbook of poems, the story collection “Down in the Flood,” and the novel “Watching TV with the Red Chinese,” scheduled for release as an independent film in 2009. His fiction and poetry have been published in the U.S. in “Esquire,” “Arts & Letters,” “American Short Fiction,” “Southern Poetry Review,” “Quick Fiction,” “Grand Street,” “North Carolina Literary Review” and others, and internationally in “Frank” (France) and “Revista Neo” (Portugal).
His work also appears in the anthologies “Racing Home” and “This Is Where We Live: Stories by 25 Contemporary NC Writers.” Three of his stories have been reprinted in “New Stories from the South: The Year’s Best,” and he has been included three times on “The Best American Short Stories – Distinguished Story List.”
Whisnant has taught literature and creative writing at East Carolina University since 1982, and he is a two-time winner of the English Department’s Bertie Fearing Award for Excellence in Teaching. He is the editor of “Tar River Poetry” and serves as director of the ECU Poetry Forum.
This event is sponsored by the Department of English and Modern Languages at Barton College. For additional information, please contact Dr. Jim Clark at 252-399-6450 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions? Contact Kathy Daughety, director of public relations, at 252-399-6529 or email: email@example.com
- Twelfth Annual Caregiver Education Conference Scheduled at Barton College on March 10 February 20, 2015
- Friends of Visual Arts’ Lunch and Lecture Series Will Focus on History of Painting in N.C. and Collecting N.C. Art” February 13, 2015
- Barton Team Shines In First-Time Appearance At NCICU Ethics Bowl February 11, 2015
- “Love The Symphony” Scheduled For Saturday, February 14 February 3, 2015
- Barton Announces President’s and Dean’s Lists for Fall 2014 Semester February 2, 2015